Y40 Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by unknown00, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just persuaded my brother to buy the Y40-80 for some light gaming on the go and general school laptop. Was curious though, and I saw it was asked before. Does anyone know if this laptop's gpu has gddr5 or 3 ram?

2. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it's GDDR5 ram on the GPU

3. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    The internal GPU uses the system DDR3, the AMD GPU uses it's dedicated GDDR5. If you're getting bad game performance, make sure you go into the AMD Enduro control panel and look at recent applications, and make sure that the games you're playing are set to use the AMD GPU. Their switching software isn't as good at auto-detecting as Nvidia's is.

4. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When i owned the y40 i don't think i ever had it successfully auto switch graphics once. I always had to go into the control panel and set it to use the AMD GPU.

5. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    It switches automatically fine if you set the app preference, that when a specific game/app is running it should use the internal GPU. But there are two "sets" of those matches, when you're on battery and when you're plugged in, so it could have been something like a constant power saving setting preventing it from kicking on. I know it works fine with the new Y40-80 if you have things set up right, but it's complex enough that you can get into trouble if you don't pay attention to your power settings.

6. newuser556

newuser556 Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.