XPS9560 Bios 1.2.4 bricking systems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just a heads up I updated the BIOS and the system hung on the BIOS screen, pressing F12 or F2 resulted in the blue bar but the system didn't progress to BIOS of the boot selection screen, caps lock was responsive.

The system seemed to be soft bricked.

The way out for me and the only other person I know to update was to hold the fn key when powering up, this forced a system reboot again and it went back to windows.

As the soft brick can be reproduced by the 2nd person to update I suggest Dell pull this update and people don't update as this may render the system unusable.

Don't do this without a warranty in place!

2. mazewing

mazewing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No problems with the 1.2.4 BIOS here. Just updated fine from 1.0.3 (the original BIOS). Only thing I noticed was the fan blowing at maximum speed when it was flashing the firmware and a black screen for over a minute after the computer first rebooted. After that the Dell logo with the loading circle under it appeared and withinn seconds i was in windows.

Hoping they fixed the fan profiles. That's the number 1 issue i have with this computer. It should remain silent when doing nothing. Also going from load to idle it should revert to a silent profile after hitting a minium temp. The previous bios update (1.1.3 ??) was even worse in that respect.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fans going flat out is part of the EC update, they are set to full as the EC update stops all hardware control over the fans, same with the Toshiba's I fix.

4. mazewing

mazewing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, i understand. I really hope that Dell fixes the fanprofiles. I don't mind a cpu temp of 60-70 degrees (celsius) if that means the laptop remains silent.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Umm I said the fans were fixed afraid a laptop with a chip like this will not remain with the fans off, you can select the quiet profile in Dell's power manager.

Having a chip sat at 70 degrees would eventually cause the board then chassis to heat up until you couldn't touch the keyboard. Considering a hot shower is 40 degrees I hope you see my point.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I went to download the BIOS and I noticed that the release date for it is listed as April 10 (i.e. today) which is strange given that it was first released yesterday, April 9. Did Dell get the release date wrong or did they sneakily update the file in response to this issue? The latter would explain why some people have the problem and some people don't. Can somebody with the version that causes problems confirm that the checksum of the file they used is the same as that of the file on Dell's website right now?

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well the one I got the morning is the same as the one I just downloaded again, if you have one from yesterday can you check the file sums, I got this.
    CRC32: ED3342A4
    MD5: 1E7C421B51072A7551E7CC7429C3200B
    SHA-1: BC3A1FE9AEE43F5CF39084CBE653AAFAA0281435
    SHA-256: CF95AB6011A1FB6CC4401BC57D4C38056AA202DCC8D09C61DDB0C31DC740D2BB

8. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks, those are the exact checksums of the current file. So they didn't fix anything; they just uploaded the file on the 9th and labeled it as uploaded on the 10th. I'm going to hold off on this update -- it's nice to know that you can rescue a broken system by holding Fn, but BIOS is the one aspect of the system where I prefer my updates to be rock solid.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well it does have a lot of fixes and could be as daft as those who had the soft brick being in AHCI mode?
    Now no one has had an unrecoverable and another mentioning it took a minute before it would boot it should be safe to update.

10. Undervolt92

Undervolt92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ehm...after update the xps hungs on the logo...tried to press fn key, but nothing happened.... Any help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.