*XPS M1730 Problems/Dell Replacement Issues*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by BatBoy, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Given the current state of M1730 system replacement issues (both in the US and abroad) as well as the issues surrounding the GPU replacements (delayed availability, failure rate, etc.), we are creating this thread specifically for posts of this nature.

The XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge is bogged down with posts which fall into this realm and other owners who are not having issues are having a difficult time sorting through all of the posts. Going forward, any posts in the XPS M1730 OL relating to these issues will be removed.

Initially, I was going to create this thread in the Dell CS forum, however I feel it needs to remain in the XPS arena.

Also, please remember the forum rules when posting. Specifically,

Thanks everyone.

Notes which may help -

Dell provides an option on their main site to assist in escalating a given issue which is not being resolved through normal tech support channels.

Most of the Dell websites have a link at the bottom of the main page. For the US, UK and Malaysia sites, its listed as 'Unresolved Issues'. If you are in another region, check your Dell website for your specific country - some sites do not have this feature/link.

When using these links, you will be greeted with two options:

1. Customer Service (this is defined by Dell as 'Missing, damaged or incorrect orders, Lead time issues or Refund or exchange problems')

2. Technical Support (this is defined by Dell as 'Products not functioning and Operating System problems')

When filling out the related webform, be sure to provide your case#. Your case# is generated when you first contact Dell Technical Support for assistance. Recap the situation and be polite. Provide your contact info and request a follow up.

NOTE: You need to contact Technical Support and work with the Tech Support Rep prior to using the Unresolved Issues link. Dell will not accept straight contact via this link without first reporting the issue to tech support and allowing them a chance to resolve it. Again, you must contact tech support first. Unresolved Issues should only be used if you are faced with a brick wall and are not receiving any response to your requests for assistance.

2. Slammin

Slammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fair enuff.

For anyone new to the 1730 dramas. Have a read of this and place a vote.

Dell Ideastorm

Congrat's Hankaaron. It's a shame that you had to pursue it so hard. :mad:

3. wodstock

wodstock Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Guys, please use thumbnail previews when linking to images. More info can be found here.

Thanks.

5. deeznizzels

deeznizzels Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hank how long did it take for them to confirm they were sending an m17x? I was advised after they tried sneaking an 8700 card and t9600 processor in on me for my x9000 and 8800 cards (10/07/2009) That I would get nothing less then those and an exchange system was requested yet here I am 13 days later and no confirmation of any specs and None of them can tell me if I am infact getting an upgrade. I have been using my wifes VAIO (complete crap) since 09/19/2009, I miss my beast, this sucks.

6. blazer666_uk

blazer666_uk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So what are you going to do about that? (I would be hopping mad!)

7. psychoD

psychoD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    any idea as to the waiting period for a replacement 8800M GTX SLi from the UK area?

8. deeznizzels

deeznizzels Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My guestimate to that would be never, They are not getting those cards anymore.

9. Dazr

Dazr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i`m now in my 8th week of waiting and they wont/cant even give me a date :)

10. Haltingpoint

Haltingpoint Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So after doing an executive email carpet bomb like I previously mentioned and noting that I would forward my email to Consumerist.com, I got a call from their corporate executive response team.

After a quick one-day investigation of options, they notified me I'd be getting a system upgrade (vs. replacement) from the 1730 to the m17x. :eek: :D :eek: :D

It appears like everything is more or less upgraded but I'm pasting the specs below which is a miracle given what I've heard from others on here, but I want to doublecheck...are there any components that are being downgraded?

Current XPS M1730 Config
    • Core 2 Extreme X9000 (2.8Ghz, 800Mhz FSB 6M Cache)
    • 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 2Dimm
    • 17" WUXGA display (max res 1080p)
    • Dual 1GB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLI config
    • 200GB 7200 RPM SATA drive w/ free fall sensor
    • Vista 32-bit Home Premium
    • 8X DVD+- RW
    • AGEIA PhysX Card

Proposed m17x Upgrade Config
    • Core 2 Duo T9600 (2.8Ghz, 1066Mhz FSB 6M Cache)
    • 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz 2Dimm
    • 17" WUXGA display (max res 1080p)
    • Dual 1GB Nvidia 280M GTX cards in SLI Config
    • 250GB 7200 RPM drive w/ free fall sensor
    • Vista 64-bit Home Premium and a Windows 7 upgrade coupon

It looks like a pretty nice upgrade to me...but I have two concerns. First, do the 280M cards have built in PhysX accelerators? Because the new config does not have a physx card listed.

Second, I assume all alienware dvd burners are at LEAST 8x by now but their site doesn't list the speed...can anybody confirm?

Lastly, does anybody know if the m17x with the 280m cards solve the heat issue that caused me to get this replacement in the first place?

I'm pretty psyched about this and all I'm going to push for in addition is the respawn image disc and an extra battery which my current system has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.