XPS M1710 Wireless issues

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by R1rider, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R1rider

R1rider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hope this is the right place to ask this. I looked around and couldn't see a similar thread.

Just got a new m1710 today and I'm having trouble with the wireless. It works for about 10 minutes or so then shuts down. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver to no effect. Wondered if anybody has any suggestions? I saw Chazman's review of the m1710 with the same issue but I couldn't get his fix to work for me (unless I didn't perform the exact same steps, which is possible).

Thanks

2. nickspohn

nickspohn Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Uninstall PROset, and let Windows control it automatically

That should help

3. R1rider

Reputations:
    Unfortunately didn't seem to help :(

Removed PROset, reinstalled the drivers and I still get about 2 minutes of Wifi and it turns off :( Perhaps this is a different problem, but it certainly is frustrating.

4. Elderlycrawfish

Elderlycrawfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried adjusting any of the default adapter settings? Default wireless settings might be set for best battery consumption rather than performance. It's possible it's shutting down to conserve energy.

5. NissanSupraGTR

NissanSupraGTR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From what I've experiened/heard, you might want to change the broadcast channel and/or disable 802.1x authentification.

6. R1rider

Reputations:
    The wifi in the notebook stops working entirely - it isn't a failure to connect issue, so I'd be surprised if changing the channel/authentication would help. I will try it anyway though since I'm desperate :(

7. R1rider

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it happens while it is still in use. I was 27% through downloading the latest updates to XP when it died. I suppose turning the adapter off while in use would be a very effective way to save on battery life, but not great for productivity :D

8. NissanSupraGTR

NissanSupraGTR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd just get dell to ship you a new adapter if nothing works. They pay for shipping both ways, so you got nothing to lose. BtW, did you try connecting to a network somewhere else?

9. R1rider

Reputations:
    Yeah, I tried connecting to a couple of other hotspots I used to use with my last laptop.

I still think the problem is software since it runs ok for the first few minutes after rebooting, but if all else fails I will go back to Dell. I'm a little concerned because I bought the system through a third party, but the warrenty is transferable (still waiting for the transfer).

10. R1rider

Reputations:
    Disabling Bluetooth seems to help, but it still dies after a while :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.