XPS M1710 2nd Hard drive options

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by lancorp, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm wanting to start working with Windows Vista Beta 2, and am looking into options to boot to a 2nd hard drive on my XPS M1710.

At this point, I'm investigating two options:

1) Having a 2nd hard drive caddy with drive, and would require I remove/replace the hard drive everytime I switch back and forth from XP to Vista (not desireable). Where would I get a drive caddy and does anyone know the part number?

2) Using D/DOCK with internal media bay loaded with a 2nd hard drive. With this option, I'm not sure I have the option to boot from this drive in the M1710 BIOS. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I would guess the interface on this media bay isn't very high performance (maybe IDE).

Any other ideas for booting from a 2nd hard drive? (USB would be too slow).

Thanks!

2. mZimm

mZimm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have access to come hard drive caddies. PM me for details.

It is not possible to boot from an external hard drive; so those are your only options as far as I know.

3. jcaulley

jcaulley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you saying that it is not possible to boot any OS from an external hard drive or is this a limitation of Windows? I run Linux from an external hard drive and the USB 2.0 interface seems to handle this very well. I didn't really notice any difference in drive access between having it on the USB port and when I had the drive internal to the computer.

4. mZimm

mZimm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I was referring to Windows. I have booted Linux from an external hard drive as well; but Windows won't do it for some reason. Windows doesn't have a problem booting from the hard drive caddy though since it's connected to the IDE channel.

5. drumfu

drumfu super modfu

Reputations:
    is there a reason you don't just dual boot your machine? that's what i did with the earlier release of the vista beta

6. jcaulley

jcaulley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lancorp, not sure if you are willing to spend a little money to do this, but if you are this is an Xpress card that will give you an external SATA capability. Couple that with an external SATA enclosure (~$25) and you can have an external harddrive that runs at internal HDD speeds and will allow you to install windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.