xps M170 vs. xps gen 2

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Leo93, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orbit

Orbit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Sublime, I would be interested in any photos you have. Did you have to do anything other than install the hardware and load new drivers? Did you have to touch the BIOS? Where did you buy the card from? How much (if you don't mind). How deep did you have to dig into the notebook to get to the card?

Thanks! And sorry for all the questions. I was thinking this probably wouldn't work. Very cool to hear that it does!

2. sublime

sublime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I'll take some pictures tomorrow, so you can have the step by step of how to take the thing apart :)

I just went to Dell's site, and flashed my BIOS with the m170 BIOS, since I have an XPS Gen 2. After that, all I had to do was download the drivers, and install the card!!

Now here is where I get yelled at!! I wanted to find a cheap way to get the card, and I got a really good discount on the XPS. So, I bought one, switched the cards, and I will be reselling it on ebay. But before people get on my case for it, I 1. Will be sure to say the card has been switched and 2. make sure the buyer knows it has the 6800, not the 7800!!

Having said that, I guess how much I paid for it will depend on how much I sell the computer for. Only time will tell!!

3. Orbit

Orbit Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks sublime. Appreciate the info. I've only had my gen 2 a month, so I'm not feeling the urge to upgrade it yet. Hopefully 6 months from now the part will be easier to get.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.