~XPS M1330 owners lounge~

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sesshomaru, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhintz20

jhintz20 Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: Received the used Toshiba screen yesterday and plugged it in. Dim just like my original screen. Plugged the LG replacement one in and backlight works on that, but still no BIOS screen and can't adjust brightness. So I plugged the Toshiba screen back in and did the diagnostics test. Came back with the error code "2000-0236: LCD Inverter Error - Unable to Turn Lamp On". That's interesting because the LED LCDs don't have inverters.

I then tried the D + power diagnostic, and while doing that it looked like the backlight turned on during the test. But then after the test it went back to dim.

The LG "compatible" screen lights up only, pressing F2 or F12 or any of the diagnostics buttons don't show anything unless I plug in an external monitor. No image on the display until Windows loads

2. jhintz20

jhintz20 Newbie

Reputations:
    Replaced the motherboard and now all of the screens work. Weird issue since the backlight didn't work for the Toshiba screens but it did work on the LG screen, just couldn't adjust it. I couldn't see any blown fuses or caps but maybe I need to take a closer look.

3. extra-ordinary_guy

extra-ordinary_guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm running my M1330 since 2008. I recently installed an SSD and then bought an IDE to SATA HDD caddy for the optical drive bay and installed my SATA drive in it. I'm having a problem where windows 7 keeps losing the 2nd drive and when it rediscovers it, it prompts for the drive to be formatted. Only way I've found of getting my drive back in windows is to uninstall and then reinstall it in Device Manager and then I can explore it once again. Has anyone had this issue or knows what my issue might be? In Disk Manager I thought it strange that the drive in the caddy is Drive 0 and the SSD system drive is Drive 1 even though the caddy drive is the 2nd drive to be added??

4. desone01

desone01 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have five of these laptops. They still perform quite well. All have 2.6, 2.5 or 2.4ghz CPUs. Three have 4GB ram and the other two 3GB each. Three have LED screens and the other two have CCFL screens. I have carried out the copper shim upgrade on each laptop and use either arctic silver or more recently MX2 heat compound and have never had an overheating problem. I see the genuine Dell 9 cell batteries have dried up on eBay and have now had to resort to Chinese knock-offs. One laptop has the combined Intel video chipset. They are great little laptops if you can find one in good condition. The fan and cpu heatsink require regular cleaning.

5. XanderD

XanderD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have always been a fan of the M1330. There aren't too many 13" notebooks these days with optical drives. In fact, the reason I bought my Sony Vaio S13 is because it had a slot-load optical drive just like on the M1330 (some of us still need optical discs) and the new XPS 13 just doesn't do it for me.

6. desone

desone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your problem with the hard drive dropping out is likely due to the fact that the hard drive is drawing more power that the optical drive connection can supply. If you have a 7200rpm drive in the caddy you could try a 5400rpm one which draws less power or failing that a SSD drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.