~XPS M1330 owners lounge~

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sesshomaru, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The GPU is soldered, the CPU is PGA. I've worked on so many, trust me they are all socketed.

2. aaron7

aaron7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I must be getting her laptop confused with another... was an earlier XPS hard-soldered?

You know what this means? UPGRADE TIME!! XD

So, now that it's been a few years... what's the best CPU? haha

3. kozzney

kozzney Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. aaron7

Reputations:
    Hmm, only a $30 difference between the two. Long as the heat won't be an issue with the Nvidia graphics I think the X9000 is the way to go!

Laptop only sees internet/itunes usage; never gaming. Using a SSD to reduce heat as well. Should be ok :)

5. prowler5150

prowler5150 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend where to get a replacement battery? It looks like Dell isn't selling them anymore.

6. kozzney

kozzney Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've bought several from eBay, they have worked well enough. Just be careful to ensure that the listing says "Genuine" or "OEM" or something like that. I usually look for the Dell logo in the picture, then hopefully it is a legit battery. Still can't be 100% sure tho...

7. aaron7

Reputations:
    Meh, I've always used the $20 china specials. They work fine and last about a year/year and a half.

8. mmoy

mmoy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I needed a laptop for a trip (didn't want to take my 8 pound MacBook Pro) and the XPS M1330 is pretty slow with the 5,400 RPM HDD so I grabbed a spare Intel SSD and went to install it. One of the screwheads securing the HDD was stripped at the head so a friend drilled the head and a little of the stem out and pulled the HDD out and installed the SSD and I was good to go. The other hard part was cloning the disk as the SSD was a lot smaller than the HDD. I had to try about five programs, some free for personal use, some free trial. This system has an old processor and the screen resolution isn't great and the battery life isn't that good compared to modern notebooks but it gets the job done for business work.

I got my system with Intel integrated graphics so I don't have the nVidia problem. This system was upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and runs fine for now. It's nice to get a lot of life out of equipment.

9. jhintz20

jhintz20 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a M1330 with the LED backlit display and nvidia graphics card. Last week the backlight all of a sudden died on me. You can still see the display if you shine a light on it, but it is too dim to work comfortably. I took the screen out and the original screen is the Toshiba LTD133EWDD. I ordered that part number online but the vendor sent me what they said is a "compatible" screen for my laptop. It is an LG display. I plugged it in and turned on the laptop. The backlight comes on, but does not show the splash screen while booting, meaning I can't access BIOS either. Eventually windows loads and the screen displays fine except for brightness being stuck at max without being able to adjust it.

All of my drivers are up to date, BIOS, video card driver, etc. Draining the power by unplugging the AC cord, unplugging the battery, and holding the power button for 60 seconds, does not fix the problem. They have also sent me another LG "compatible" screen but the 2nd one does the exact same thing.

I ordered a used Toshiba LTD133EWDD and it's on the way to my house. Hopefully that works, but I am wondering why my laptop is so picky with not being able to correctly display on a "compatible" screen like the LG. I have talked to multiple vendors who say that I should not need the exact Toshiba brand replacement for the screen to work and that the "compatible" models should be fine. Am I missing something here?

10. Nalada

Nalada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This sounds very odd to me. Basically it is working. I don't really understand why the screen would not come on for the splash screen. Originally the M1330 was shipped with one screens from one of about three different manufacturers so the 'compatible' one you have is probably the same as shipped with many M1330's.

Make sure you do not have an external monitor connected (in case it is trying to start displaying to that).
    Could it be working but with the backlight turned very dark before Windows loads?
    Could the BIOS be set for a fast boot without showing the usual splash screen?
    Try dabbing the F2 key repeatedly right after powering on (before it gets to Windows). Also try F12 instead. That may get you into BIOS or to a boot menu.

You should be able to run Dell diagnostics from the menu F12 brings up. If you can't get to that menu then hold the Fn key down *as* you power on. That should also start diagnostics which will offer you a series of tests including display tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.