~XPS M1330 owners lounge~

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sesshomaru, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmoy

mmoy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My daughter still uses my old M1330 regularly for college homework assignments. The thing is in great shape and performance is decent. I really should put in an SSD. My regular laptop is a 2008 (same vintage) MacBook Pro so I'm no stranger to using old equipment. My desktop is an old Nehalem Core i7 as well. The M1330 is a very nice laptop if you went with integrated video.

2. TheCodeBreaker

TheCodeBreaker 7H3 1337

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just recently purchased a 9 cell battery for my m1330, its great and all, except it makes the system wobble, is that normal or is just me?

3. mattcheau

mattcheau Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    do you have all your rubber feet? if the battery extends downward enough, it might still wobble even if you still have the front two. which way does it wobble?

how much did you pay for the 9-cell, by the way, and what type of battery life are you seeing now?

4. sesshomaru

sesshomaru Suspended Disbelief!

Reputations:
    My system gave up the ghost last week. Went quietly in its sleep. Put it to sleep, refused to wake up the next day. Feeling a bit sad.
    It was probably the second one on this forum to be delivered. Ah! Memories!. :)

5. nBitTech

nBitTech Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an interesting M1330 case. I've been a computer tech/ IT consultant since the 90s. I still use an m1330 that I bought at a thrift store with a dead gpu every day as my personal laptop and it's still awesome. Mine has W7, a t8300, 4gb RAM, and a fresh (1 week old) 750gb/7200rpm hard drive. But unfortunately for me, it has the old 30 series nVidia chip, and every month I have taken it apart to reflow the ball/grid array. It fails like clockwork every month, after about 6 monthly repeats of baking in an oven at 350 for 10 minutes, and a fresh application of thermal paste (plus the two copper shims that I've had for a while,) she's still running. When my mobo dies I will probably buy an Intel integrated graphics motherboard for it (they're about $100 on eBay,) or possibly a 31 series chip board (much cheaper at $60.) Who knows? It's still alive and kicking, (well, sort of.) I plan on keeping this for a while, it's still better than a $500 Wal-Mart laptop and it looks sexy. I hope it doesn't die completely anytime soon. I wouldn't take just anything apart every month if I didn't like it. As a matter of fact, I'm posting this on it right now.

These laptops deserve a second chance, but I really feel sorry for the people who owned these when they were new (for physical and legal reasons.)

6. aaron7

aaron7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jeez, still feel bad for all you guys out there with issues! My fiancee's 1330 is still going fine, used daily, and has never had a motherboard issue! Cranked her up with a SSD and 4gb RAM, runs great! Wish the CPU was socketed but hey, can't have everything :)

7. kozzney

kozzney Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The CPU is socketed, I've switched mine out

8. aaron7

Reputations:
    Not on the M1330. The M1530 and 1730, yes.

9. kozzney

kozzney Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol dude. I originally had a T7300 CPU in my M1330. Then I took it out of its socket and replaced it with a T9300 CPU.

10. aaron7

Reputations:
    You must have some weird revision. I've had three apart and all of them had hard-soldered CPUs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.