XPS line 4th gen Intel Haswell 2013 Refresh?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tric_101, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rflynn88

rflynn88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1600 x 900 scales best as it's 1/4 of 3200 x 1800.

2. laptopquestions2007

laptopquestions2007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    mSata is a mini-sata SSD and is not compatible with other SSD formats (as shown in the attachment from the Serial ATA wiki).

Although not designed to be 'user serviceable', unlike the memory (which is soldered), the mSata and wireless network can be replaced since they are socket based, but requires the removal of the case bottom using a T-5 torx screwdriver (as shown here).

From what I can tell, the largest mainstream mSata drive is 512GB.

I personally went with the XPS 13 i5/8GB/128GB system, which to me represents the sweet spot. The i5->i7 and 128GB->256GB upgrade wasn't worth the $400 premium to me and 8GB ram was the minimum I would consider.

220px-An_mSATA_SSD_on_top_of_a_2.5_SATA.jpg

3. unclesomebody

unclesomebody Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I guess my question is; are the internals between the two xps 13 models different? Why can the higher spec one take an SSD but the lower spec one only take an msata ssd? I would assume that they are both the same on the inside so wouldn't it be possible to open it up and put in a normall SSD in the same place that the higher spec machine has one?

The issue I foresee with replacing the 128Gb msata with a larger msata is the cost. Msata is not as prevalent from what I can see and that means less demand and higher prices. With SSD prices dropping every week it won't be long before a 256gb or even 512gb is a relatively cheap upgrade (if I can put in a normal SSD).

Thanks for your informative post.

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Don't think there are any XPS 13 that can take normal SSD. They all use mSATA SSD.

5. unclesomebody

Reputations:
    Ah. My confusion arose from the distinction they make on the order page

3395688.png

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
  7. unclesomebody

Reputations:
    That is very strange. In the UK there are only 2 models available, and the upper model doesn't say msata. That's what caused all the confusion! We don't have the base model which is available in the USA. So the model I ordered is actually the middle option in the USA.

Thanks for your help.

8. newoverhere

newoverhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the xps 15 available for in-store pickup yet for non-residents of US? Even in stores of costco or bestbuy such? Also, what percentage tax is applicable on the price offered by these stores? I'll have to keep the dollars ready before travelling so I need some idea about the pricing. thanks, I've been waiting for almost a year now for a laptop, starting with samsung's series 7 chronos but I think i'll settle with the xps finally. Reviews seem mostly positive with some minor software bugs that can be fixed later.

9. paulthuong

paulthuong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    best buy is not carrying the xps yet, as far as i know. the only place you can get it is costco which is cheaper than on Dell as well. and the price does not include tax so i recommend is to go to a tax free state because you can save hundred bucks on this 2k laptop

10. moshnz

moshnz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do not understand the rationale behind the 4-5 weeks delay on shipping on the XPS 13 and XPS 11 laptops. How can there be such a delay and parts shortage on a laptop that has just come out? That sounds absolutely absurd to me. Dell takes your money and order and then ships the laptop as slow as humanely possible. My XPS 13 order is still 4-5 weeks delayed (even after ordering it on the same day it was released) and when I contact the sales person - who incidentally promised "very fast after sales support with care" she doesn't even bother to reply. Why should she? They have my money already.

I just do not understand Dell sometimes. I could walk down to the local store and purchase a Sony Vaio Pro 11 or 13 / Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and be using it this afternoon. They should have Estimated Delivery Date: Sometime before you die. I have purchased over 10 laptops from Dell in the past 7 years but I think this maybe the last time I buy Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.