XPS line 4th gen Intel Haswell 2013 Refresh?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tric_101, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelsett

kelsett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In France the student discount is a 10%-off coupon, so I got the top model for 1800€ instead of 1999€ :)

2. iamcanadian4

iamcanadian4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too bad for not having the RJ45. I've used it on my XPS 15 when my wireless had gone on the fritz due to interference or when in a hotel that had really slow wireless (which are many hotels). Sure you can get a dongle, but that's just something else that'll get lost.

My Sandy Bridge XPS 15 is feeling heavy and old, but I'm waiting on reviews for the 1800p screen on this since it might not be that noticeable of an improvement over the 1080p screen and if the 1800p resolution is dropped to 1080p, does the text look fuzzy. I'm also going to wait for reviews of the trackpad, keyboard, potential heat and throttling issues, and wireless issues before buying. Being able to use the 5 Ghz band should help with wireless.

4. akuma-z

akuma-z Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It has to be one big battery. If you compare the dimensions in the spec sheet the 91Wh battery is the same on all dimensions except width. The teardown confirms that the hard drive is next to the battery so removing the drive would allow a wider battery to be installed. Looks like a good design overall after looking through the manuals it should be easy to service/upgrade. I wonder if it will accept 16GB dimms?

Type 6-cell (61 Wh)
    Dimensions:
    Width 10.63 in (270 mm)
    Depth 3.65 in (92.65 mm)
    Height 0.35 in (9 mm)
    Weight 0.71 lb (0.32 kg)

Type 6-cell (91 Wh)
    Dimensions:
    Width 13.48 in (342.4 mm)
    Depth 3.65 in (92.65 mm)
    Height 0.35 in (9 mm)
    Weight 0.97 lb (0.44 kg)

5. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm would be interesting to purchase the bigger one after the fact. Swap out the hdd if you know you'll need the extra juice. I know it would be kind of a pain, but I can think of times I'd like to do that.

6. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks
    I was wondering if I get a lower model and than I got the bigger battery and fit it in it would it be a pain and how much that would cost probably expensive but now the manual is out its easier to figure it out.

Edit: sorry I did not see someone already think about this lol

7. spybenj

spybenj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Spoke with Dell, just wondering if any of you have managed to get a lower price
    $2300 version
    $150 off coupon
    Further 2% off after finding a nice sales guy
    So it's like $2107

They also told me that the return policy is now 30 days from shipping, no restocking fee, free return shipping as well.

Also, do people here recommend dell's warranty? What about the accident protection? does dell support give deals for that as well?

8. GreaseMonkey90

GreaseMonkey90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    which set up did you get?

9. dbh21

dbh21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I signed up for their advantage program for a 5% gift card, then their member program for a 4% discount and finally some $50 discount. I couldn't find cheaper options not being a student. Took forever to order through their support though.

10. spybenj

spybenj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sadly the members program doesn't have 4% off in canada, and their doesn't seem to be a student discount in Canada either!

It's the maxed out version, no warranty changes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.