XPS line 4th gen Intel Haswell 2013 Refresh?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tric_101, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreaseMonkey90

GreaseMonkey90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Im'm being torn between the P35K and XPS15. Both has its pros.

2. toronto

toronto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Reviews say that the build quality is not great - "average build quality is a bit of a letdown", touchpad is "dismal", "low-quality speakers", the GPU is slow and "entry-level", and noisy fan is "second-loudest gaming laptop".

3. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If GTX765m is slow and entry level :D so the GT750m what is it? Maybe garbage?

Keep in mind that Gigabyte P35K is not out in market yet, so the few unit in hand to some reviewer are pre-production units
    There are many reviewers out there, but only few are reliable as for example Notebookcheck and Anandtech.
    We have seen that just for previous XPS15 L521x, many good reviews, but we have had the truth only from Notebookcheck and Anandtech, the XPS 15 L521x had a ridiculous throttling and you could have thermal shutdown just because you have connected an external display, and the solutions that is came from Dell to Wi-Fi issue was a external adapter, are you serious? That was a 1500$ (at least) machine!

Skareem2 likes this.
  4. Macpod

Macpod Connoisseur

Reputations:
    The gigabyte ticks all the right boxes. Even has an ultrabay type disk drive. But i saw some video on youtube and they showed absolutely horrendous amount of flex in the chassis. They just tried to do too much, its an example of a unbalanced design. XPS i hope is just teetering on the edge of the design envelope. I have a feeling a GT760 or a 47W GPU would have broke that balance. Certainly the inclusion of both as some suggested would have broke the balance.

5. newoverhere

newoverhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The i5 is actually 47W TDP whereas the i7 is 37W TDP so maybe i5 will produce more heat than the i7 model. my source is anandtech.

6. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    man I can't wait to get this along with the Venue Pro 8...after owning an HP DV6 for about 1 year, build quality is much more important to me now

Skareem2 likes this.
  7. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yea i saw that after when i checked both processors on intel site smh well here is to hoping we get i5 with graphics .... maybe i should spend the cash and done @ least it will be future proof for a few years

smh u poor thing u bought an hp they are nice but not the best quality does urs over heat as well ? the XPS is the way to go

8. krayziehustler

Reputations:
    although it is bulky and heavy it never over heated...but man this thing is built like crap, flex everywhere, terrible touch pad and a horrendous HP boot screen....I returned the 521 last year and I hope to actually keep this year's model for a few years

Skareem2 likes this.
  9. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The design of Gigabyte P35K has been revised, the units that you see around are prototypes, in fact this is the reason to the delay in market, that it was originally supposed to be in August, but I'm not saying that Gigabyte will be a perfect notebook, only serious reviews or the reports of owners can respond to question how is good P35K.

I like P35K, but it's very probable that it will not sold in my country, but surely Samsung Ativ Book 8 is already in my market (I'm waiting the Haswell update to make a choice) and it's well balanced and it can even handle the overclock of GPU (8870m) and this means that it's well designed, moreover CPU (it's highly probable that it will be a i7 4700HQ) and GPU of Samsung are more powerful than new XPS15.

If XPS15 works as intended then it's a interesting notebook, but the price of the version with all the interesting things may not be competitive. I'm speaking of i7 4702HQ + GT750m + IGZO display + full battery (which also means 512 mSATA SSD).
    Also the unusual resolution (3200X1800) could be a problem to visualize a FHD (1920X1080) videos and obviously the GT750m cannot handle this high resolution in games so most the time you will be forced to set at least 1600X900 if you don't want blurred images.
    Someone could say that there is a 1920X1080 option, but I'm enough sure that it will be the screen of previous XPS15 L521x (it's a TN) that has disappointed many users.

10. krayziehustler

Reputations:
    The 521 didn't come with Touch as an option so it has to be different, unless they offer a non touch version of the new XPS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.