XPS line 4th gen Intel Haswell 2013 Refresh?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tric_101, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneCharmingQuark

OneCharmingQuark Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 3200x1800 display is IGZO. As far as I know the 1080p is IPS. This means that choosing the higher resolution panel could actually increase your battery life. We'll have to wait until release to see.

2. bob.hits

bob.hits Newbie

Reputations:
    It seems Dell is dropping the ball big time on this one. So what are the alternatives at this level with an optimal drive and without some silly novelty touch screen? A rather big shame here since the current system is extremely good and a higher res screen with an upgraded processor would have been wonderful. Instead this won't work as a multi media center for home, it's smaller which seems silly given the last model tiny and extremely light already and if anything needed more size to provide a better keyboard which imo was a bit weak on the last model.

I also really wish they'd look into offering more high end processor based models without the over the top graphics. The alien ware models other than look horrible would be great options for work if they'd put reasonably priced graphics cards in there (clearly it would need to be another series as that is a gaming line).

3. Tabris

Tabris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    About time Dell announced this. Wish that another XPS 14 was also announced, or at least plans for one down the road were revealed. I still think the whole 14" screen on a 13" form factor is pretty much the ideal when it comes to laptops; neither too big, as with 15" frames or too small with the XPS 13's 11" frame.

Will probably order the XPS 13 when it is released.

4. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure how you're coming to that conclusion? You seem like you're in the niche/minority.

It's simultaneously thinner and lighter, while having a faster processor, faster graphics card, higher res screen and better battery life. Not sure how that even comes close to 'dropping' the ball? Sounds pretty perfect to me actually.

As discussed earlier, the way the general PC industry is going, optical drives are basically redundant. The vast majority consume their content digitally now, optical media is becoming more and more redundant (more expensive due to manufacturing/shipping/retail store overheads, slow (both in terms of speed and in terms of time to consume, and small in capacity). Only going to become more and more true as more content gets pushed online (as the stupid US content providers get the picture) and as internet speeds get faster and faster.

You want a high end processor, yet call it being smaller 'silly' and don't want an alienware.. .you seem confused.

The XPS definitely has a market, otherwise they wouldn't have pushed it out. It's basically Dells response to the Macbook Pro Retina (as the previous gen XPS15 was), and we all know how immensely popular the MBPR is (and guess what, that's also thin and doesn't have an optical drive, shock horror, yet has sold by the millions).

I think it definitely has the right balance of size/weight/CPU power/GPU power/battery life. Can't get any more powerful without generating more heat, sapping battery or being bigger. You want power? Buy a Desktop or a mobile workstation (like the Precision). You want GPU power? Buy an alienware or any other number of horrible looking, silly sized gaming notebooks. For me, and i'm guessing a lot of others, the new XPS15 looks awesome. It's thin and light with good enough battery life that I can take it around with me and not break my back, yet should be powerful enough to fire up the odd game or work on the odd CAD model etc. Obviously i'm not going to be running CFD or any complex calcs on it, nor playing BF4 @ Ultra settings, but it will definitely do in a pinch.

Skareem2 likes this.
  5. toronto

toronto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In your expert business opinion.

Why can't you just say that you think the new models aren't to your preference, rather than slam Dell for making a big mistake? (as if you'd know what a mistake is in their market).

Skareem2 likes this.
  6. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My good sir there is the Inspiron 7000 series for you you will get your optical drive and other features. The XPS lines is a Mac Book competitor at a lower price point or same price point depending on the specs, not a multimedia machine that's why there are the inspiron 3000 lower end machines and inspiron 7000 higher end multimedia capable machines. Optical drives are also outdated i hardly use mine as it is so i wont mind not having it and buying an external drive.

your opinion is valued but make sure you do your research on dell's product lines and what they are aimed at before bashing dell or the XPS line since it does not meet your needs as an end user who did not do his research. also the older generation is still available if you prefer that model ...

as for my take on this system im in love honestly cuz i have a XPS L502x and the only thing im worried about is sound quality, wifi performance and over heating that the older model suffered from.
    would be nice to know the wattage of the speakers since the MBPR has actually has 4 speakers two per enclosure so there is some bass and wide range of sound. but ill give up the sound quality i have now for a slim light system one it can stay cool and handle some form of games.

must say dell is impressing me even the inspiron 7000 with its mac like design and high repeatability is impressive viewed the system manuals.
    awaiting the reviews for this machine :D

7. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    in the 7000 series only the 17 model has a optical drive non on the 14" or 15'' which is wont bother me either,i dont need optical drive hardly use it .

An other alternative to the XPS is the inspiron 7000 15" model as soon as they come out with the 1080p screen except the XPS has a bigger battery . but other vise similar specs.
    if you dont need the fancy high res screen.

8. Sicken

Sicken Newbie

Reputations:
    or a decent CPU...

9. bob.hits

bob.hits Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the response. I have in front of me the current XPS 15. It needs an upgrade in processor power, I'd honestly like to see one of the intel chips with 8meg cache, in a non alienware over the top body with more graphics than I'll ever need. That said the 4th gen processor would be a reasonable compromise. The problem with the inspiron series is that they simply have a cheaper feeling build quality. We just bought about a dozen at work as we were trying to save some money, first time we ever bought a non xps laptop that I"m aware of. They're nice and certainly aren't poorly made but they greatly lack the build quality of the XPS. And they certainly need better screens though that might be becoming an option.

If the XPS is to be the TOP of the line machine then they need a top of the line model. Dropping blu ray takes it out of multi media. The touch screen truly adds no business value and maybe I'm just a pessimist but I cannot imagine touch screens being a value add in a computer in the next 5 years (the max useful life of these).

Now for me, I'd like to get an XPS as a personal laptop for myself, but I need more processor power than the current models offer. If I'm going to spend 3k on a computer it better be able to handle multiple needs such as blu ray. Now I might be out of touch or you know....my being over 120 pounds I don't get why people need thinner and lighter given the current models are light as a feather while still feeling like they're high quality and well put together, but that's fine if people want that. I would however like the fan to be off more often. The current systems run the fan when just idling, not really a good thing imo.

I end what is already too long a response with this. I'm not sure who the market is for this new system. It seems to lack the needs of the home user who wants a power house system. It is too expensive for the causal user. It offers unneeded features that add cost for business. It's still an amazing laptop but I don't see the market. And well it's not apple so the people who do video/photo editing or ruby coding I can't seem switching.

10. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For me the i5 4200U is enough I don't do gaming ,for some photo editing should be fine its looks nice stylish durable, enugh GPU power i assume for my needs, just wanna see the reviews already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.