XPS 9560 with two displayport monitors

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by kfuglsang, Jul 11, 2017.

1. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I completely disagree. From a technical perspective, it is very much a Thunderbolt 3 port which is then capable of USB, DisplayPort, and PCIe. All physical TB3 ports are connected to an Alpine Ridge controller (at least for now, future models may have the TB3 chip integrated into CPU), which then connects to the CPU using PCI lanes. The TB3 controller is the only USB controller for the port, and it is not at all a USB port that converts into a TB3 port.
    You can see this most clearly in motherboard schematics, as seen for the 9350 here http://www.mediafire.com/file/atbraqj4xkv19xx/DELL_XPS_13-9350_AAZ80_LA-C881P_r1.0_A00.pdf on pages 1, 11, 39. The traces go from the CPU to the alpine ridge controller as PCIe, and then the USB traces go from the Alpine Ridge controller to the respective pins on the port. USB ports are completely different as they have USB traces directly from CPU to the physical ports

2. chx1975

chx1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are you even talking about?

The physical format is USB C. Then it is the USB PD standard that defines the ways to switch the USB C to various Alternate Modes. One of the Alternate Modes is Thunderbolt 3. This is the order of the standards.

3. MLev1777

Reputations:
    You've managed to pull this conversation into the gutter, where it seems to be becoming pointless.
    Nevertheless, describing a Thunderbolt 3 port as a "USB port capable of Thunderbolt" is fundamentally incorrect, on a technical level and in the use of the port. It is akin to describing a Thunderbolt 2 port as a DisplayPort 'port' capable of Thunderbolt. Sure, the visible portions of the port are Displayport and USB-C respectively. But your concept is simply not how any of it works, as I've attempted to demonstrate using the schematics above.
    For clarity, the external port, that is a USB-C connector, is directly connected to a Thunderbolt 3 chip, which is then capable of USB 3.1, DisplayPort 1.2 (x2), and PCIe (there are add'l standards in TB3 as well). This Thunderbolt 3 chip, codenamed Alpine Ridge, is what controls the mode of the Thunderbolt 3 port to one of those configurations. There is no discrete USB chip involved, so it is not a USB port.
    And USB PD (power delivery) has nada to do with switching into alternate modes, and is not even dependent on USB-C (nor is USB-C dependent on USB-PD). As you can see here, http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/PD_1.0_Introduction.pdf, USB-PD was even compatible with USB-A, which cannot support alternate modes. Additionally, there is a USB-PD chip connected to the Thunderbolt chip and port to control the PD negotiations.
    You declare "this is the order of the standards", but have never cited any standards. I'd be happy to continue the conversation if you have some sources or can add depth to your points, but am uninterested in wrong claims espoused repeatedly

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Do it via PM then :)

5. MLev1777

Reputations:
    A bit of a contradiction with the policy in your signature about public posts

6. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Not at all, I don't want people asking me questions via PM that can be done (without acting like primary school children) in a public post to help other people, you are both going down the path of the keyboard warriors playing up to the crowd, it isn't needed or wanted here.

7. MLev1777

Reputations:
    Hypocritical considering you joined a conversation in which you had little involvement to add that it's pointless, when I have already suggested it's pointless. Personally don't care about any crowd.
    Thread is dead, let's move on

8. GoNz0

Reputations:
    To be fair you killed it, and considering I was subscribed the last thing I wanted to see was a notification each time you pair continued your a spat, but now you turned it into a 3 way spat instead of having your hissy fit in private, well done. I will make use of the ignore button now so you can continue talking to yourself.