XPS 9560 'Windows Creators Update' & Thermal Management

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sargon1, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just curious if there's any benefit to installing dell's power manager other than being able to set charge thresholds without going into BIOS?

2. mazewing

mazewing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Somehow the Dell power manager has the ability to change the fan speed. When you choose the "silent" preset the fans actually become (more) silent. Too bad it isn't sticking because after a few minutes it will speed up the fan again.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I never used to have an issue with the fans picking up with ultra-performance :(
    Also, it seems that the fans will spin up regardless of the profile, but switching to the ultra-performance profile actually seems to reset the fans back to a quiet speed.

Is it confirmed that Bios 1.3.3 makes the fan problems worse than 1.1.3?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  4. mazewing

mazewing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think everything is messed up after the creators update and the new BIOS versions.

Somehow Dell is unable to get such an easy thing right....

5. AJriver1

AJriver1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 laptop with the maxed out settings (32 GB of Ram, 1 TB SDD, Intel i7 processor) and the fan is always running. I currently have 2 tabs of Google Chrome open as well as Kapersky Anti-Virus running in the background, yet the fan is on low speed. With a 32 GB laptop, I didn't think the fan would constantly be working. Even when changing the thermal settings to Quiet in Thermal Management, the fan will only shut off for about 2 min, then will turn back on. This is incredibly frustrating considering this is supposed to be a premium laptop that wasn't cheap. What's even more frustrating in that I have about 7 programs including 60 tabs of Chrome open on my Macbook Pro, and it's completely silent.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dell tech support troubleshooting and nothing solved the issue. The rep recommended I disable all of the "Microsoft Services" from Safe Mode w/networking but this just didn't seem right... Why should I have to disable all of those services to get the fan to stop working on a 32 GB computer?

I've been searching the Dell XPS 15 fan topic and have come across others with the same issue. Is it even worth swapping this computer out for another one or will I just run into the same fan issues? Would it be better to return it outright and opt for another brand?

6. vitaligent

vitaligent Newbie

Reputations:
    Return it. Mine's been doing this after the Creator's Update. There is no fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.