XPS 9560 'Windows Creators Update' & Thermal Management

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sargon1, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kappo

Kappo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep - mine also didn't have this partition which is why I did a fresh install. I cannot find anyway online or otherwise of restoring back to "as it came from the factory". The image ISO off their site is a load of rubbish and doesn't install anything.

2. Kappo

Kappo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One other thing I have noticed - previously, under device manager, Firmware would be listed as the Dell 1.3.3 firmware (that;s the bios im on). But now it's listed as System Firmware - which is MS provided. Not sure if that'e relevant or just a red herring...

3. mazewing

mazewing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates about this?

I'm getting pretty tired of the fan noise. I don't care if the system gets a little bit warmer, because right now the fans are at almost full speed while the CPU is hovering around 60 degrees.

Hitting the powerplan balanced or silent(Dell power command) resets the fan, but after a few minutes it's back at way too high speeds for the temperature it's trying to cool...

4. Flagada Jones

Flagada Jones Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you also check out the windows settings?
    Mine is configured on optimized settings in Dell power command and on normal use in windows control panel.
    I never hear the fans on daily use, and I can play low demanding games and watch youtube videos at the same time while not having the fans kicking in at high speed...

I can also tell you that your indoor temperature has an impact on the inside temperature of your laptop and that if you put your laptop on performance settings, it will get warmer when processing demanding activities on it like editing or playing video games.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  5. sargon1

sargon1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope, still unhappy with my 'creators update' installation. I'm currently thinking about trying the windows image you can download from dells website using your service tag or a clean installation of windows 10 version 1607. Question is, if this works: can you somehow prevent windows from installing the 'creators update'?

The one thing I can conclude from the behavior of my laptop:
    The issue is caused by an intel driver (intel internal gpu, intel thermal framework, or something else from intel) that acts differently (or is not optimized by intel/dell) in the creators update in comparison to windows version 1607 (anniversary update).

I can assure you, it's not a simple windows configuration thing, it's driver related. My laptop acts completely differently after I updated to the 'creators update'.

6. Flagada Jones

Flagada Jones Newbie

Reputations:
    I must say that I believe that you are doing something wrong somewhere.

I have the windows 10 creator update for weeks now, on the same laptop as you and I have no such problems.

Nonetheless, I have run some tests by changing the profile in Dell Command Center and also in windows. I have noticed that for example, setting the profile on performance increases a lot the laptop's temperature leading it to revolution the fans at maximum speed under any mild processing activity.

7. TimmyBurner

TimmyBurner Newbie

Reputations:
    My friend, do your fans kick in when you plug-in HDMI connection?

8. Flagada Jones

Flagada Jones Newbie

Reputations:
    Not instantly, but they ultimately run at low speed I would say.

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps the dGPU gets activated when the HDMI is in use?

10. sargon1

sargon1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm back on a clean 1607 (anniversary update) installation:
    - newest drivers from Dells website (June 17th 2017) + an updated version for the Intel HD 630 to version 4678 + nVidia driver version 382.53
    - undervolted cpu to: core voltage -0.120V, graphics voltage: -0.070V
    - Dell Command Power Manager: silent profile
    - Windows Power Profile: balanced, passive system cooling policy
    - SpeedShift: energy performance preference policy: 55, autonomous activity window: 15000, performance autonomous mode: 1

Will report back how my system behaves now.

I tried restoring my system with Dells image you can download via your service tag. Following Dells 'usage instructions', I had the same experience as Kappo: the provided image seems broken.
    I could boot from the created usb drive, but it would loop in a 'boot loop' when I followed Dells instructions. There was an option to restore from an image, choosing this option would result in an error though. No idea what is going on with those images (the one I had on my ssd + the one I freshly downloaded from Dell. As a result I deleted the broken image on my ssd, which gave me additional 10GB of free space on my ssd.

If you're wondering how I reverted back my system:
    - downloaded a 1607 windows 10 image for my native tongue from here
    - created a bootable usb drive using rufus
    - double clicked the 'setup.exe' on the usb drive (therefore I guess you just need to mount the image + double click, no rufus)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.