XPS 9560 - Any luck getting Win7 on this thing?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by cyon02, Jan 13, 2018.

1. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I recently purchased my DELL XPS 9560 with i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake processor but am having a hard time with Windows 10. I have tried win10 for over 2 months, i really dislike it.

I understand that Microsoft has placed restrictions on Win7 being used with my Kaby Lake processor but i have also read that there is a work around to the problem -- read more here.

Question is, has anyone actually managed to get my model working nice in Win7? Would you care to post a link to the guide you followed?

If i can establish that it is even possible then it will be a very helpful starting point. My goal is to eventually dual boot between Win7 and OSX as i use both OS's frequently, but for now i am just focusing on getting comfy with my XPS, and using windows 10 is really not helping matters.

Many thanks in advanced to all who share and this wonderful forum.

My full spec can be found here (expand "BUILD MY DELL")

2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What is the issue with W10?
    Yes it takes a bit to get used to but it’s better than W7.

3. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    Its just really sluggish. I have disabled pretty much everything i could find but its just not as responsive as Win7. Things take longer to open, it just doesn't feel quick.

Plus there is all the privacy stuff (though i must say i haven't paid it much mind) i've seen littered across the web.

4. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not a big fan of Win 10, but one app I use that seems to make it tolerable for me is Start 10 from Stardock. best $4.99 I spent.

It gives the look and feel of Win 7 interface on your Windows 10 OS.

5. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    *Bump

Can anyone (other than Win10 fanboys please) confirm whether they have successfully got Win7 to work on this laptop? It is VERY painful for me to use Windows 10 even for a single day longer and am considering wiping the entire SSD with all recovery partitions and just starting again fresh in the hope that the drivers downloaded from DELL will work in Win7.

For anyone wondering why i need to kill windows 10, ask your self this... Do you even remember what a fast, stable and non BSOD oops i mean GSOD functional laptop feels like?

Windows 10 is not it! It is however absolute garbage.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    judging by the fact that no one has commented on this thread since you started it I would say it's limited. You should search reddit to see if anyone there has done it, or just try it yourself.

I have 0 issues with win10 on mine, but if you're not happy then try to figure it out.

7. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    Happy to try it myself and report back findings, though i'd prefer to mitigate bricking the unit if possible- hence my posts across several forums.

I guess i'm on my own on this one *sigh

I cannot believe other XPS owners are happy with the performance of Windows 10. I find Win10 to be so piss poor, unstable, focused for touch (even AFTER changing the shell) all copies of it should be buried with the Atari E.T. game cartridges in New Mexico. And there they shall rot together in an orgy excremental inconvenience until they finally meet their maker Lucifer, whom will gather all copies and return them to the underworld from whence they came. Goodbye to Bad rubbish. I'm wiping my drive. Up yours MS and your silly ultimatums.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I don't know how installing an OS would brick your laptop. If you manage that then I'll buy you a beer.

My desktop has an up-time of 4 weeks, windows 10 is plenty stable. It would likely have a longer uptime but I just installed a few more 8tb drives.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well lucky you. Enjoy your Win 10 laptop man. I on the other hand have had enough of constant green screens telling me windows 10 is 'preparing' my system. Crap. I would wager a bet if i get Win 7 working correctly on here that i can accomplish tasks faster than another XPS 9560 same spec system running Win 10. I have no doubt. Nor will i suffer the inconvenience, nor the GSOD, nor the privacy, nor the....

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes.

alexhawker likes this.