XPS 9550 + Win 10 Creators Update (random freezes)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Schmoo2k, Apr 7, 2017.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Windows display cache bug on optimus laptops.

2. Brent Pistun

Brent Pistun Newbie

Reputations:
    I concur with Schmoo2k on the Samsung SSD driver. I rolled back to version 2.0.0.1607 (the newly released Samsung 3.0 driver gave me no joy)

After the Windows upgrade, I had some random freezing; especially when playing video. I think the latest Windows 10 Creators Edition also upgraded the Intel HD 530 driver, so I installed a known reliable version from Intel's downloads (21.20.16.4664; it will be listed as version [15.45]). My problems went away and I've been freeze-free for a couple of months now.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can download the Intel video driver version 21.20 but it will probably throw an error when you try to install it. I think you have to right mouse on the EXE (or ZIP) and extract the files, then install the driver using the device manager.

Intel site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?v=t

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. hugh19

hugh19 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tested mine with their newest 3.0 driver after I started to get more freezes with the windows update. It caused my computer to freezes almost every half hour vs once or twice a day with 2.0.

4. hugh19

hugh19 Newbie

Reputations:
    My 530 driver appears to still be the old version but IDE ATA/ATAPI controller was not so I will see if changing that is better. Also, the new frequent freezes only started about a week ago after my computer updated with Windows April update (17134.112) so I was thinking maybe that update caused the problem.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018