]]>

XPS 9550 + Win 10 Creators Update (random freezes)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Schmoo2k, Apr 7, 2017.

1. klabc

klabc Newbie

Reputations:
    @Schmoo2k
    You are a genius! Thanks a lot!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. punkerdubh

punkerdubh Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a million! So far things are working well - full day without hang.

When I rolled back the Samsung driver I ended up at version 1.4.7.17 (long story). Is there any reason I should bring it up to rev 2.0?

3. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="When I rolled back the Samsung driver I ended up at version 1.4.7.17 (long story). Is there any reason I should bring it up to rev 2.0?[/QUOTE]

TBH I don't know, but in general my OCD makes me get the latest version of everything...

4. punkerdubh

punkerdubh Newbie

Reputations:
    There must be a residual copy of the 2.2 driver somewhere on my machine because every time I run Samsung_NVMeDriver_2.0.exe (after uninstalling the previous version) I end up with the evil 2.2 driver. In fact, after the Meltdown bug fix got pushed out I was back at 2.2. Things seem stable with 1.4.7.17 so I'm sticking with it and will check after each Windows update to make sure it's still there.

5. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The next time that happens, go to device manager and select Storage Controllers/Samsung NVMe Controller, right click and select "uninstall device" - the following dialog has an option to "Delete the driver software for this device from your system"...

6. sign0ff

sign0ff Newbie

Reputations:
    I must say thanks to everyone that lost time and nerve to bring us this, especially OP Schmoo2k.

Yah, it works.. not only it works, my machine is running a hell lot cooler and increased (+1~1.30h) battery life.
    One thing i learned tho, if you "right click and select "uninstall device" - the following dialog has an option to "Delete the driver software for this device from your system"..." as Schmoo2k suggested, and you cant install the new driver, then reset and start windows in Safe Mode (windows will install a generic Ms controller driver ) reboot again in W10 and install Samsung_NVMeDriver_2.0.exe.

4 days no freeze (plugged or unplugged) and counting

7. River727

River727 Newbie

Reputations:
    You have made the machine heart of my laptop even more stony (I think you have described it as "rock solid" in one of your previous posts). However I think it now loves you! Finally it works as it is supposed to do (so far).

Thank you so much Schmoo2k!

8. Benjamin Usta

Benjamin Usta Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just registered to thank you Schmoo2k. You made my day and saved me a lot of trouble.