XPS 9550 + Win 10 Creators Update (random freezes)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Schmoo2k, Apr 7, 2017.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Do a clean install and put the Toshiba (OCZ) SSD drivers on and you should be good to go.

2. alexanderwong

alexanderwong Newbie

Reputations:
    Reason I asked cuz the last time I accidentally click the Restart now prompt, it installed the Creators update. And upon booting into Creators update for the first time, I had random freezes, then BSOD. Probably this time I'll just try a fresh install and see how it goes, back then I still wasn't using the latest drivers for some items.

3. alexanderwong

alexanderwong Newbie

Reputations:
    Hopefully it runs well. I'll give it a spin this weekend.

4. Dude54321

Dude54321 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung NvMe PM951 SSD, and am running it in RAID mode with UEFI (default configuration). I am getting this same problem of BSODs.

My Device Manager shows the following drivers under Storage Controllers: Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller (version 15.7.3.1019) and Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. I do not see the Samsung Driver.

Please advise.

Shall I switch to AHCI mode and install Samsung drivers? Or is there a fix with the RAID mode?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check if you can get something more about the BSOD with WhoCrashed or such.

You can try switching to AHCI but it is not sure to fix everything. Then the SSD is taken over by the NVMe driver, firstly M$, then Samsung if you install it. Mind some have had temporary-freezing issues with the latest one, while older ones (2.0, 1.4) are not available at Samsung anymore.

6. Dude54321

Dude54321 Newbie

Reputations:
    The problem is that the computer crashes so quickly that it does not generate a dump file, so WhoCrashed does not help. This is the exact symptom many others have been reporting, eg. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/20012799/21019123#21019123.

The older Samsung driver is linked in the first post, so I can use that. How do I go about switching to AHCI and installing the Samsung driver?

Is there anything else I can do with the RAID setup? I thought the RAID setup was supposed to be more stable. The computer worked well till a few months ago - a windows update must have clobbered something.

7. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    FWIW This thread wan't about BSOD, just random freezing (which is a lot harder to diagnose). I would suggest making sure your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are at version 15.7..*.* or 15.2.*.* (and not at version 15.5.*).

Also there is a link to the Samsung 2.0 driver in the first post.

(Given your IDE driver is 15.7.x.x it may be your BSOD is not caused by the IDE at all?)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  8. Dude54321

Dude54321 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. I misspoke. My symptoms are just as described in the first post. The laptop will freeze randomly and used to reboot, but I disabled the automatic reboot so I could see the error message. The errors are usually Critical Process Died or Unexpected Store Exception - similar to what is described in the dell forum as well (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/20012799/21019123#21019123).

Yes, my IDE driver is 15.7.x.x but I do not have a Samsung driver installed (just the Microsoft one). I guess I need to switch to AHCI to install the Samsung driver ??? Or is there another way?

9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    TBH I don't really know, since I had assumed this issue only related to folks already in AHCI mode.

It won't hurt to try I suppose as you will be able to switch back afterwards:
    * WinKey+R: msconfig
    * Boot / Safe Boot (on)
    * Reboot and press F12 to enter BIOS
    * Switch to AHCI mode
    * Save and exit, then you will boot into windows safe mode (which will install the default drivers as needed).
    * WinKey+R: msconfig
    * Boot / Safe Boot (off)
    * Reboot
    * Install Samsung driver 2.0 (it will have defaulted to an old MS driver)

So the trick is to be in safe mode when you make the change.

10. Dude54321

Dude54321 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. How would I install the Samsung driver? Through Device Manager - update driver - have disk route?