XPS 9550 Crashes and Reboots in Sleep

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by returntosennder, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For what aim do you mean incomplete, for a proper Hybrid sleep (with suspend to Hibernate after an hour) or for deactivated Hybrid sleep?

Previously I've already had Wake timers disabled on battery (where the backpack episodes occur), Important only when Plugged in (AFAIK this is for WU restarts and such). Hibernate after was set to 1h, and it did activate.

Now I set Hibernate after to never. Haven't entirely disabled Hibernate yet, but should be manual only. I believe previously manual Hibernate seemed to work okay on a few occasions (when Sleep also worked fine in short experiments).

2. XPStester

XPStester Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a similar issue after the latest windows update, fixed it by reflashing the BIOS.

3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see you didn't get the point. You don't disable Hibernate, because it gets enabled by using the option Hybrid. It hibernates the moment you go into standby. The whole problem is that you have an additional command that wakes it up 1 hour later to write a hibernate file that already exists.

Kikuri likes this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see I was confusing Hybrid with Hibernate after. I think Hybrid was off actually, but I had Hibernate after: 1 hour - now Never.

6. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hybrid should be on, it is the way to go. Never lose data in sleep when the battery fails!

7. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It happened to me several times that I couldn't wake up the laptop from hibernate (180 mins after sleep).

I just installed the newest BIOS (1st Dec) and will try to see if there is any improvement (though the changelog says nothing fancy).

And I couldn't install the latest Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer. It reported that I have one installed already.

For those Intel blah blah drivers, I mainly rely on Windows 10 update to install them.

8. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tnx I may try it one day, but first I want to make sure ordinary Sleep ans Hibernate work well repeatedly and with programs loaded.

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Resume from Sleep and Hibernate still seems stable. There is one issue though, occasionally the display resolution seems to change transiently from 4K to a somewhat lower resolution (yet larger than FHD) upon wake, so that the windows get shrunk and relocated.
    Has anybody noticed sth like this?

10. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 9550 has recently developed a habit of rebooting rather than waking from sleep ;( In simple short tests it usually wakes up, but when put to sleep with stuff open it often crashes.
    Not much clue what could be the cause. Recently I've accepted a Dell Update suggestion for Dell Dock WD15 update (which I've done before manually) and audio drivers.
    Any idea how to debug? Nothing obvious in Event log, preboot diagnostics ok, no point in powercfg -lastwake if it doesn't wake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.