XPS 9550 battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by peaceartist, Jul 3, 2017.

1. rajuabju

rajuabju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently went through this... my 9550 trackpad stopped working properly... the two button at the bottom would no longer function at all, and the trackpad surface became erratic.

Initially, Dell sent out a tech on-site who ended up replacing the entire keyboard/trackpad unit, which was nice to get all new keys etc. But that failed to solve the issue. I ended up sending the entire unit to Dell. They replaced the battery which they said sometimes gets "swollen" and presto, all is good again.

So, not too bad. Got new keyboard, trackpad and battery.

Still loving my 9550!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    GoNz0 likes this.
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    mlee1999, Jean-Cyril and pressing like this.
  3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. mlee1999

mlee1999 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, that explains it. After dealing with poor results calling customer support they finally offered to send a box and repair my 9550. I am so excited to get it back tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

I unfortunately went the eBay route and had to deal with a seller who said their batteries were genuine. Out return shipping but hot a refund.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    It was my understanding that when a faulty or counterfeit is sent (not as described) that you can claim back your return postage.

6. mlee1999

mlee1999 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Missed FedEx. Should pick up tomorrow. Does anyone have instructions to cycle a new battery and is this even beneficial? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

7. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cycling is only useful if you want to calibrate the battery level gauge and measure capacity. But it is harmful to the battery, as it is rated to last only 300 full cycles by Dell, causes the capacity to fade, and Dell batteries might even swell ;)
    If you would like your battery to last long and don't rely on it, don't fill it to the max, don't drain it to zero and with high current (gaming on battery...). Use Dell Command Power Manager, set it to charge max to 90% and stop charging until it drops to 85%, work plugged-in when possible.

mlee1999 likes this.