XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    Dell has apparently fixed the problem in newer 9560s but isn't going to fix or even publish a fix for 9550s and older 9560s. That does indeed point toward a hardware problem but I can attest to the fact that a full Windows reset fixed my 9550 - I think.

If you have the ability to clone an M.2 SSD, you can try the full reset and then restore the system from the cloned drive if it doesn't work. Reinstalling everything is a pain but preferable to flickers.

2. Zaneman

Zaneman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have used DDU a couple times to update a couple different sets of drivers and it was not effective. I have checked the event viewer and found some display errors that say "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." as well as "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer." So I'm assuming this is the NVIDIA driver?

I'm sorry I'm now posting in the wrong thread about this problem. Last question. I will try to do a clean install with the ISO Gonzo has for Windows 10. Is a 16gb flash drive sufficient?

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    8gb is enough :)

the nv***** points to the nvidia drivers surprisingly.

4. redhat01

redhat01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell fixed the issue on the 9550 (of brightness flickering) in the bios 1.2.19. What Zaneman is experiencing is a hardware issue, i can't remember correctly but i had the same issue and had to have the screen replaced then i got the brightness flicker which got fixed when the 1.2.19 came out.

5. Zaneman

Zaneman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did a clean install and now do not have the same problem I had in the video. I still have screen flashing but it does not lock me out or force my mouse to the middle of the screen like before. It seems to be worse with the GPU enabled and I have disabled my GPU altogether and now my computer is annoying but usable for daily use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.