XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    So what did you do with your refund? Did you find something you like better than the 9550?

2. archibalduk

archibalduk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's the link: https://chimicles.com/dell-xps-9560-laptop-flickering-screen-defect-class-action-investigation/

It seems like nonsense to me, but anything which adds to flagging up the issue is all good IMO.

There are plenty of reports in the Dell Forum thread that the v4664 drivers haven't work for many people. It has to be a software issue though as my laptop has been flicker-free since I installed the drivers about a week ago.

3. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't actually own one to make an intelligent decision about it. The product does what it's supposed to do and I think it would take a much more serious flaw to win a class action suit. Nevertheless, I'd add my name if it also covered the 9550.

4. Zaneman

Zaneman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Absolutely growing sick and tired of this machine. I have tried numerous BIOS configs with different Intel and NVIDIA drivers. I am currently on bios 1.2.21 with the newest video drivers directly from Dell, the Intel 530 4664 and NVIDIA 960m 382.05

Can someone please give me advice on how to fix this steaming pile of dog excrement besides throwing it away. Before this computer I had a HP ENVY that experienced less problem in its 4 year lifespan than this Dell has had in one year. I just wanted something with a 4k screen and ability to play games on medium settings. Now I have neither as every single time my screen flashes it resets the mouse to the middle making playing any mouse based game impossible. I have included a short video of the problem. Is this the screen flicker you are speaking of? Mine has zero connection to brightness settings.

I have been unable to reflash over my current bios with either 1.20 or 1.2.18.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    I couldn't stand it anymore so I bit the bullet and bought a new 4K 9560 from the Dell Outlet store. It's been an absolute joy to use - no flickers - but now I'm afraid to update the BIOS or any video drivers. I'm going to wait until there's no option other than to update them.

Intending to sell my 9550 for whatever I could get, I did a full reset of Windows and kept it running for a few days. No flickers. I ran lots of programs and the flickers were completely gone. Go figure. I sold it for fair market value.

6. redhat01

redhat01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's not what this thread is about. That looks like a hardware issue. The flickering mentioned in this thread is different. You need to get that replaced under warranty.

I'm on 1.2.19 BIOS and Intel 4590 drivers and have had no flicker in Months.
    Try the above but i don't think you issue is related to BIOS.

7. Zaneman

Zaneman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I suppose it could be hardware related. My warranty is up and I live in south america. I am unsure of what to do. I may try to use gonzo's ISO and wipe the computer but that is daunting too without a secondary computer to use.

8. redhat01

redhat01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I doubt that will help. Try the 1.2.19 BIOS first. That's when Dell fixed the brightness flickering issue. If that doesn't work you might need a new screen. Replacing the LCD isn't very difficult if you can find one with the frame.
    I had to have mine replaced when i got the laptop.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Have you tried removing all traces of both drivers using DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    this is what sorted it for my on my 9550.

You do not have flicker, you have screen blanking and to me that looks like what happens when the display driver crashes, you should see something in the event viewer relating to igfx***** confirming the crash. Either way I would run DDU for both intel and nvidia then install the drivers (do one at a time as it reboots by default)
    The other issue is windows update replacing the display driver so make sure device manager reports the same version if it plays up after using DDU and fresh drivers, I would go with the Dell intel video driver to start with.

It's the clean install that probably fixed it (see my above reply)
    DDU fixed my flicker and also the blanking when the intel driver crashed.

10. Jagstyles

Jagstyles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got rid of my 9550 and got the HP spectre x360 15 inch. Best thing I ever did.

GoNz0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.