XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. methylethylphenyl

methylethylphenyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well Dell released a bunch of drivers today for the 9560. I downloaded the latest Intel 630 driver (same driver version, but A02 now) and my screen flickered while I typed this message. 5 minutes after installation...

Eason likes this.
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Give DDU a go at removing the old ones to rule out conflicting leftovers?
    What driver version does it give in device manager?

3. methylethylphenyl

methylethylphenyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've used DDU (in safe mode) to remove my old drivers each time for the past 2 weeks. Have been juggling with each driver version at least twice before Windows forces the OEM drivers. But generic or OEM drivers both seem to flicker, so I don't bother with generics until a new one is out. I'll do group policy method if a new generic does resolve the flicker.

As for the driver version, I'll check when I get home which is abt 12 hrs from now. But it should be the latest one from Dell. In my case, it's evident if my driver version changes such as a forced update from Windows, since it changes my taskbar width/height back to default and the tray icon returns after I hid it.

After the initial flicker with the new driver version, I actually didn't flicker for the next 4-5 hrs. I was impressed but I forgot the first rule of Dell: don't get your hopes up. After that, it was back to normal flickering frequency.

Edit: driver ver 21.20.16.4574, driver date 12/23/16 is the latest oem driver.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. archibalduk

archibalduk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Frank Azor claims that Dell are working on a fix for the flicker: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/857099933803053056

In the meantime, there has been a steady stream of users posting in the thread I started in the Dell forums which is helping keep it at the top of the forum (and with 11 pages of posts now). Hopefully this will keep the pressure on Dell (to the extent they actually care about this issue). I am fed up with flickering and having to disable GPU acceleration for Chrome/Opera.

5. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently bought a used 9550 and the flickering problem was driving me nuts. I flashed the most recent BIOS and tried lots of different versions of the Intel video driver, including 20.19.15.4483 and other ones that required manual installations. I also uninstalled the Intel applications that came on my 9550 except for the driver itself, the Rapid Storage Technology, and the Serial IO. I was just about ready to give up and sell the 9550 when I tried one last possible solution and finally found a driver that tames the flickering problem to the point at which it's tolerable:

I got it by using Device Manager to

1. Update the driver software to the most recent version.

2. Roll back the driver software.

You may be able to download and install the driver without using Device Manager.

6. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell wont do anything to fix it, they saying is an Intel problem.

Therefore just downgrade to BIOS version 1.2.0 then problem solved.

Ask yourself, are you even going to notice not running higher than 1.2.0 BIOS once you are in Windows using the laptop?

saeidboomba likes this.
  7. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    I took your advice and downgraded to BIOS version 1.2.0. So far, there are times when the flickers seem to be completely gone. Then they come back and it behaves the same as 1.2.21 in that Action Center, Personalize, etc., cause short blackouts. Annoying but tolerable. I'll keep 1.2.0 running for a day or two but then go back to 1.2.21 unless I see a good reason not to.

It would be great to get to the heart of the matter but my 32 years of experience in software development tell me that it's a hardware problem and that Dell and Intel are probably pointing fingers at each other. I've seen it happen way too many times. I don't expect it to be fixed until the 9570 comes out.

8. archibalduk

archibalduk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Installing the v4664 Intel drivers appears to have resolved the problem for me. I have had frequent flicker since I received the laptop in February regardless of which Dell/Intel driver installed but I haven't had anything . Here's the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

Incidentally, IIRC I am using the version 1.2.0 BIOS (I haven't uploaded to any newer version owing to the reports of bricking the laptop).

Dell have been absolutely useless with this issue. I have been hounding them since 8 March via this thread on the Support Forums I started. It seemed like they were going to do something but then they went quiet and nothing happened. However, it seems today they are finally taking some interest again - but only after I linked to a US law firm considering taking a class action against Dell (sounds like ambulance chasing IMO)!! Let's see how long their interest lasts.

Now that the flicker has seemingly gone, the only issue I have is a form of stutter lag with scrolling in Excel.

9. balrog49

balrog49 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using the Intel 21.20.16.4664 driver and getting the same results. Action Center, Personalize, etc., cause short blackouts some of the time.

Which law firm? I'm curious because I have a cousin who specializes in class action suits.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I got a full refund 2 years and 11 months into a 3 year warranty by kicking up a stink on the phone, the forums are a waste of time.