XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubleup_dan

doubleup_dan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh that sucks, I wont be back in my own country for another month. Though it only does it on low brightness which is 90% of my usage.

How does it work with dell? Would I have to send it to them? I have had it over a year now.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Depends on the warranty you have?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. doubleup_dan

doubleup_dan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just the standard I didnt pay anything extra on top. I'm from the UK.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Phone them and see what they say?

doubleup_dan likes this.
  5. methylethylphenyl

methylethylphenyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a heads up that a Dell rep is looking for "volunteers" in the EMEA region to troubleshoot some problems regarding the screen flickering. Here's the thread/page: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/20007351?pi41097=5

Don't know if it'll be useful at all, but won't hurt to try. I have noticed that my screen flicker gets progressively worse the longer I keep my laptop on. But after the next day, it "resets" and I won't flicker until a little over an hr from the moment I turned it on. I've tried all Intel hd 630 versions, and used all bios combinations but the flicker problem is unresolved. Wish I was in the 30-day return window period again so I could return my 9560. Sometimes gets to the point where my screen will not stop flickering every 10-30 seconds until I restart my laptop, but that has only happened twice with 4 hrs of daily use these past 5 weeks.

6. archibalduk

archibalduk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Luke at Dell has now posted this:

I have emailed him, but I'm not comfortable with anyone from Dell remotely accessing my laptop as I don't trust them. But they're of course welcome to fly to the Channel Islands and look at it in person!...

If anyone is comfortable with Dell remotely logging into their laptop then they might want to email Luke too.

7. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    It's messages like these that makes me wonder if they actually use/test their own products. If they normally browse through a 4k display 9560, then they should be able to experience the flickering.

My best guess is that they use an external monitor while at work/stationary since that bypasses the flicker. And probably use a macbook on the go.

8. archibalduk

Reputations:
    Yes it's very surprising. I do wonder whether there are any 4k models that do not suffer from this issue - but it's hard to know as really it's only those with issues that tend to post about things like this.

This is the email I got back from Dell today:

I have responded to say that I'm not willing to do this. I don't want to go to the hassle of setting up a new laptop, transfer over my data, etc. Not to mention the risk of ending up with a laptop with other issues, dead pixels, etc. - and then trying to get Dell to repair it with original parts and/or replace it. Other than a single dead pixel (which I can live with) and the flickering, I have no issues with my laptop.

If anyone is willing to do this, I suggest emailing Luke with your service tag - his email address is located on page 6 of this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/20007351?pi41097=6

9. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    I've responded, but they're adamant that this is a rare case/problem. Which got me wondering if my laptop being set to AHCI instead of RAID with Intel RST drivers has an impact on the flickering. Is there any person with 4k screen flickering in RAID? I can't seem to find a search within thread button around here, so don't know if I missed any post mentioning that. It's a long shot, but if some people don't report flickering then it seems quite strange.

Also @GoNz0, you mentioned that your last screen flicker was on April 3rd. Did you experience a flicker since then while on the 4590 drivers? I'm unable to stop Windows from overriding my drivers, so I will have to try the group policy editor method. But even with the 4590 drivers, I still flicker (even more than before).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. archibalduk

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm running on RAID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.