XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Considering it only targets the video drivers I don't see how it could break the bluetooth? Maybe coincidence as mine is fine.

FYI I am on the creators clean install so maybe they changed something else or I got lucky with the driver clean.

2. Kappo

Kappo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I had screen flicker/blacking out very briefly in the beginning, but I've messed with so many updates/drivers/DDUs etc that I can't be sure what fixed it. I've certainly not experienced it recently that I can recall, and am running latest versions of nvidia and intel drivers.

3. methylethylphenyl

methylethylphenyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My bluetooth somehow restored itself overnight after the system restore. The weird thing is that I removed all my bluetooth devices prior going to sleep after the system restore, and when I woke up and turned my laptop on, all of the bluetooth devices came back without having to pair them. I'll re-do DDU and see the bluetooth issue can be replicated.

Screen flicker happens in a fraction of a second so it can be hard to miss if your eyes aren't attached to the screen the whole time. I notice it the most when I'm in a dark room with a light screen because my whole room flickers if my screen flickers, so it's easy to catch in my case.

4. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    So I did a clean install with Creator's Update and (knock on wood) there's no screen flickering so far after using DDU and the latest NVIDIA drivers with intel 4590 drivers. The creator's update is a huge revamp and I highly recommend it, flickering issues aside. Apps are less blurry, and the customizable touchpad settings means that I won't really need to use autohotkey anymore.

Edit: I've spoken too soon. After 2.5 hrs in with the Creator's update, I experienced one flicker.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    saeidboomba likes this.
  5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Hell of a lot better than before though isn't it :)

saeidboomba likes this.
  6. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    It's better, but the new Creator's update overwrites my display drivers for the Dell OEM versions after a few restarts. It seems the option to disable automatic driver updates is removed (along with many other "advanced" options) in the Creator's update. Do you have the same issue / know of a new method to disable the overwrites?

7. GoNz0

Reputations:
    The DDU utility disables driver installs when you clean the drivers out, clean the intel drivers with the utility then install them again and see how you get on, otherwise someone posted up how to install group policy on windows 10 home but I can't find it, they may see this and post it?

8. doubleup_dan

doubleup_dan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So was using my XPS today and moved the screen, which made it freeze and I had to do a hard reset it.

Now I seem to be getting this flicker problem. I have never had it happen until now. I checked bios and Im running 1.2.14

Should I update to the newest version?

9. GoNz0

Reputations:
    If this happened after moving the screen you have a bad/broken connection in the screen ribbon, due to the plug end having a bit of tape up the cable to stop it moving about it may need a new cable fitting. I would call dell anyway.

10. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    Did anyone purchase their 9550/9560 outside of Dell.com and have experienced flicker problems? Flicker problems doesn't seem to be more of an issue than it is other than on dedicated forums, so I suspect that it might be due to faulty screens and that Dell uses higher quality parts for their laptops that are sent to retail stores like Best Buy or Microcenter. I have not seen or heard of a 9560 that is sold in retail stores with a lower-end Toshiba hard drive despite months after release and their supposed Samsung/Lite-on ssd shortage. Which is why I suspect that only laptops shipped directly from Dell.com has the flicker issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.