XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Aug 24, 2016.

?

4K screen flicker

1. Yes Bios A10 (This may be a very slight flicker but still happens)

17.4%
  2. Yes Bios A11 (probably unbearable)

15.2%
  3. Yes Bios A12 (Still there and enough to piss you off within 5 minutes)

54.3%
  4. No Bios A10

10.9%
  5. No Bios A11

4.3%
  6. No BIOS A12

6.5%
  7. Yes Bios A06 (1.2.0)

6.5%
  8. No Bios A06 (1.2.0)

26.1%
  9. Yes A16 1.2.18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No A16 1.2.18

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archibalduk

archibalduk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now you mention it, I think mine are generally the same - i.e. text, etc on a white background.

Unfortunately the new drivers haven't fixed the issue. However, the flicker has been just a black screen flicker so far (rather than any barcode effect type of flicker).

Annoying the new driver is causing stutter lag with Opera (it was fine with the previous driver). As with the old Google issue, disabling GPU acceleration resolved this.

2. archibalduk

Reputations:
  3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
  4. GoNz0

Reputations:
    The latest intel seems worst than it's predecessor for flicker?

5. archibalduk

Reputations:
    Yeah it's significantly worse with the latest drivers. I've also had to disable hardware acceleration in Opera as otherwise I get lag stutter with the latest ones too.

6. methylethylphenyl

methylethylphenyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can't tell if either the previous or latest driver is worse when it comes to flickers, but I have noticed that when my screen does flicker, it will continue flickering nonstop until I move my mouse cursor.

7. archibalduk

Reputations:
    Yeah I have been encountering the same issue ever since I updated to the latest Intel driver. Prior to that, it would stop after a moment but now it carries on until I move the mouse. On the plus side, it sounds more like a driver issue rather than a hardware one.

8. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    With the latest Intel 630 drivers, I'm unable to sustain an undervolted GPU of -120mV, or -110mV otherwise my laptop automatically shuts down (Windows event viewer lists it as Critical error event ID 41 "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." I've dialed it down back to -100mV and everything seems to be stable. Anyone else experienced something similar?

9. GoNz0

Reputations:
    So on my 9560 4k model I went back to the 4590 drivers and still had a few issues but since I ran DDU on both video drivers and installed them again the problem seems to have gone way. It also cured the 15fps in BF1 as well!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. methylethylphenyl

Reputations:
    I've just followed your method, so I can't confirm whether the flickering is still present or not. But DDU process seemed to have broken my bluetooth; I'm unable to use any BT device or connect to it anymore. I've reinstalled the Wifi / BT drivers, but no luck so far. Reinstalling intel 630 drivers also didn't fix the problem.

Edit: 2 hours in and I have experienced one flicker. It seems that it does flicker less than the latest Intel drivers. I'm unable to use system restore to previous config, so looks like my bluetooth is bricked for now. Looks like my choices are either clean install or purchase an Intel 8265. Looks like the Creator's update is a good time to clean install Windows if there's no alternative.

Edit 2: System restore worked after renaming WindowsApps folder and uninstalling my antivirus, but bluetooth still broken. Will attempt clean install when the next Windows updates hit. Anyone that used DDU for Intel/Nvidia drivers have working bluetooth? Otherwise it might be a hardware failure on my end.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.