*** XPS 17 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 8, 2020.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've bought hundreds of refurb laptops from dell;s outlet over the past 7 years and only had one of them that had an issue.

JRE84 and electrosoft like this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    Agreed. I've managed to snag tremendous deals from the outlet. Even if you have a problem you can return it or Dell will either repair or replace when pushed.

3. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read the reviews of the Dell Premier Sleeve 17 (PE1721V) on Amazon and the majority (in German and English) say it does not close with the laptop inside. It is too thin and the magnets don't hold. I just scored a nice xps 17 9710 in the outlet, and need a sleeve. I have trouble believing that Dell would design a sleeve that does not fit. My XPS 15 premier sleeves both fit my XPS 15 9550 and 7590 fine. Is it true that the Dell Premier Sleeve 17 does not close fully with an XPS 17 97x0 inside?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It appears it does not fit that model. Multiple sources I am reading the enclosure does not stay shut with that model.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/hdw5mb/just_got_my_xps_17_looking_for_a_padded_laptop/

5. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just received my refurb and it looks like new. The box is not as fancy.
    I just updated BIOS and drivers. Any downside to installing the newest game-ready RTX 3060 laptop nVidia driver and GeForce experience for the RTX 3060, instead of the Dell-provided driver (the latest from their website does not even install due to signature problem lol). The version number is a lot newer.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah dell's outlet boxes are pretty crappy, thankfully they seem to do the job as I've never had a laptop damaged from transit (even if the box was totally demolished).

7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  8. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd like to dual boot Windows 10 and 11 for a while on my XPS 17 9710 until I am comfortable enough with the new OS version. I now have Windows 10 21H1 on it. Would it be better to clone my Windows 10 to another partition & upgrade it to Win 11, or install Windows 11 from scratch on a new partition?

Edit: I shrank my OS partition to make room for another one, cloned it to unallocated space using Acronis TrueImage, disabled BitLocker, changed the storage mode in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI. After updating the clone to Windows 11, the end result of my fiddling is a large main partition with Windows 10 and a smaller partition to play with Windows 11. I just found out there is no setting in Windows 11 to enable all notification icons. I get the sense that I will run into more removed features and limitations so for the time being Win10 is going to be my main OS.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  9. vsherry

vsherry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Several people, including reviewers, got lemons around the same time I bought that XPS 15. Dell replaced it after initially attempting to repair it. I told Dell it was bad unit, but they proceeded. The unit failed utterly like two weeks after they replaced it. They sent me another certified refurb that could not record audio. I figured out the issue on my own after the tech they sent couldn't do it. I went on to sell that unit, thinking it was fine, but the new owner detected some issue related to a faint noise that Dell couldn't repair. He got a brand-new XPS 15 with an OLED screen after Dell failed to repair that unit. I'm glad for anybody who has had good luck with Dell's refurbs, but I laughed at "rigorously tested" when I got a computer that couldn't record.

pressing and Papusan like this.
  10. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Couldn't find a discussion of this on search, but apologies if I missed it - but assuming you're not doing GPU-heavy operations, has anyone tried the 9710 (or Precision 5760) with dGPU with a 90W PSU? Does it throttle badly? Run down the batter? Both?

Got a new machine coming in a couple of days, but the 2nd PSU is backordered 3-4 weeks and am trying to figure out if it's worth getting one from a 3rd party meanwhile. If it's fairly usable for light use with one of the 90W I already have around, I'll probably just wait for the one coming from Dell, but if it throttles badly I need to be able to move easily between my home office and elsewhere in the house.