*** XPS 17 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 8, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think it would be good. I would assume it would not be very clear for type etc.

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It MIGHT work ok now that integer upscaling is available in drivers, I haven't really tried it out myself to see how well it works but previously there was massive interpolation even in situations where integer ratio resolution scaling was an even 4:1 ratio like 1080p->2160P.

3. Iggy80

Iggy80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I am a proud new owner of an XPS17 9700. Amazing piece of hardware.

However I really don't like during office use the fact that the fan is always on. I updated all drivers and the bios, tried the Dell Power Tool with different settings, but I am not bringing this beast to be silent in office use (writing emails with outlook, surfing the web and writing letters).

I searched the web already but did not come to a solution yet. Any recommendations for me, because like this it takes a lot of fun from the machine.

Thanks for your thoughts and hints

kojack likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    strange. My cheap "underpowered" dell inspiron does not run the fan unless I am running resolve for long stints. Might be something in the bios set to start up the fans quickly.

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you have an external display connected? And you're using the quiet profile in Dell Power Manager? If worse comes to worse, you may be able to use @Aaron44126's awesome fan control software.

6. sukar

sukar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone

Congrats to all the new XPS owners. I am recently joined the club too.

Like many of you, I am also thinking about upgrading my ram from 16gb (2x8) to 32(2x16). My question and worry is around buying single rank vs dual rank. I am not sure what the main difference is between the 2 and what would be the best option for the XPS 17. When im shopping for ram on any website, typically i see couple of different options such as: 32gb RAM KIT (16gb x2 single rank) OR 32gb RAM KIT (16gb x2 dual rank).

Hoping someone can clarify this further. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's called Single and Dual channel. You need to use two sticks of RAM to have the configuration operating in dual channel. This is highly suggested as system performance is much faster utilizing dual channel.

Edit: I see "rank" is something different altogether.
    Here's a link to read, interesting never heard of this in all my years dealing with memory.
    https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    kojack likes this.
  8. sukar

sukar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for this, appreciate it.
    I went ahead and ordered an 32gb (16x2 dual rank) memory. However after reading the article you shared, it appears that single rank might perform better. If i have understood correctly, since the memory controller can only address one rank at a time, in theory this should make the dual rank degrade the performance slightly.

Let me know what you guys think. I might have to go back and re-order the single rank now.

Edit: Spoke with a Crucial rep who claimed that a dual rank would be superior than a single rank in terms of performance. Now I am confused as to which might be better.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    hfm likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It might be that the difference is negligible or margin of error. As long as there's no compatibility problem I don't know if I'd worry about it. I've never even heard of it. Maybe buy both and try both in some benchmarks and return one.

Based on the below from Crucial's site I wouldn't worry about it, the crucial (see what I did there) part is making sure you are using a pair of sticks for dual-channel operation.

-----------------------

Ranking

Memory modules can be single-, dual-, quad-, or octal-ranked. While usually not a factor on standard systems, ranking limitations can present a few complications, particularly when dealing with registered parts. Most commonly, quad-ranked or octal-ranked parts will have specific requirements about how and in what quantity they can be installed in your system's memory slots. Higher-ranked modules can limit how many total modules can be installed, for example, allowing only four out of six memory slots to be populated when any quad-ranked parts are installed, and forcing you to use specific slots in your system if quad-ranked parts are mixed with single- or dual-ranked. Higher rankings can also impact your memory bandwidth, forcing your memory to run at lower speeds when higher-ranked parts are present. This trade off may be required to utilize higher capacities of memory in some systems, though, if single- or dual-ranked parts are not available at capacities desired, or if reduced ranking parts are not compatible with a system at higher memory totals. If none of these restrictions apply, there is otherwise no functional difference between rankings of parts. More details on ranking can be found here.

EDIT:

Here's someone that benchmarked them, looks like the Single Rank was a tad faster but it was such a small margin I don't know you'd ever notice. It could also depend on the system itself, but it seems like the Single Rank memory was faster on both AMD and Intel here..

10. sukar

sukar Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Thanks for sharing the video and posting more information around the memory ranks. The single rank might have the edge on the above video however it seems that its dependent on the hardware that dictates performance. Some dual ranks performed better than the single ranks but it is marginal and likely wont be noticed.
    Ahh still not sure which way to go.

hfm likes this.