*** XPS 17 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you have one of these now?

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    What I have is what I have in my signature.

Lakshya and kojack like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok, Got excited for a min to hear some real world reviews of the new 17.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I wish, it's very tempting, but I can only afford to have one laptop and if I was going to upgrade my Area-51m, it would only be to the Area-51m R2 not an XPS as I rarely game but if I do wanna game, I wanna do it at the max eye candy.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I was stoked until I saw the $2800 price tag for a 2060. Dell has gone full Apple on this one. Oh well, looks like I'll be picking up a RP-15 or something else.

7. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    I'm interested in the integrated GPU, 4K model. Base model i5 probably won't be thaaat much slower than the i7/i9 when you consider thermal throttling and my basic workload.

8. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spec for spec, it’s hundreds cheaper than Apple and that’s excluding the easy 10% discount available on XPS laptops generally.

Also, the form factor is pretty much stretching it with a RTX 2060, for comparison - this system is a 130W system vs Apple’s 100W system. Oh and this laptop is used upgradable/replaceable.

I think a lot of the cost might be due to the 16:10 panels (especially 4K ones), with very few laptops donning it, you can be sure this comes at a hefty premium.

Also, is this the first Windows laptop with 4 TB 3 ports? And they even one up’d Apple by including a memory card reader.

I think the pricing is kind of understandable. If you’re looking for a gaming laptop though, look elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can justify the price if you'd like, but it's much higher than the previous XPS prices. The fact that I'd have to get a 4k screen (which I don't want) to get the 2060 is just like something Apple would do. The Macbook pro 16 with the i9 CPU and same SSD/RAM is $50 cheaper, so please tell me how they are hundreds cheaper than Apple?

There is no way I'd buy an Apple product because they don't interest me, but the fact that Dell priced itself so high, I won't consider the XPS17 either. Sure Dell has some 10% off coupons at times, but they haven't recently with the COVID sales (now it's a measly $50 off). I also have $200 off for Best Buy with student pricing for the MPB 16.

No it's not a gaming computer, but it was something that peaked my interest. But with the price tag and the fact that I can spec a base i7 model without the 4k screen and the 2060, Dell won't be getting any of my hard earned money. At less than half the cost and a better performing CPU, the RP-15 is going to be hard to pass up.

Sad considering I've owned every XPS since the release of the 9550 (actually many of each model), including the 13" and 2-in-1 models. Oh well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Trader05 likes this.
  10. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is definitely the star of the show, compared to the XPS 15 9500. I agree that the MSRP is quite high. The RTX 2060 variant, upgraded to 32GB and 1TB SSD is a few hundred cheaper than the Macbook Pro 16 with the same storage and ram, with the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB. However, that is with the FHD display, and the 4K upgrade brings it to only a little over a 100 dollars less than the Macbook Pro 16. (in Canada)

Dell always has coupons and discounts soon after release, so maybe MSRP is not really the best point of comparison. I'm not sure what the future discounts will look like, as it could be the case that discounts are lower for these redesigns than they have been for the past XPS 15 models, which were revisions of the same chassis since late 2015.

At least here, the 2060 is tied to the 8-core CPU, so I'd be interested in seeing how this 2060 Max-Q implementation with that CPU and only 130w of power would perform compared to the 1650 Ti model of the XPS 17.