XPS 17: How to reduce temperature of my L702X 2760QM

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jasperstaal86, Jul 29, 2017.

1. jasperstaal86

jasperstaal86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey folks! The question is fairly straightforward: How do i keep this processor cool. The temps get up to 95 celcius sometimes :O L702x 3D gt555m 2760QM

What i did:
    -Repaste cpu and gpu. Got the GT555m temp max from 93 celcius to 70, but the 2760qm stayed the same around 89 max and occasionally 95 (!)

-drilled extra holes in the bottom of the case. Reduced GPU temps considerately, but cpu stayed the same.

The only thing i can think of is to maybe replace the thermal pads of the heatsink, i havent replaced these. What thickness should i get for that? And will this help?

FYI: I've tried arctic silver, and the purple cooler master default stuff. The latter worked best ironically.

Thanks in advance,

2. TheRealJohnp

TheRealJohnp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nobody has commented but what you could do is use throttlestop to undervolt the cpu and underclock it a bit (at least turn off turbo mode).

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The flip side of this, Some processors are made to run at boiling temps. This could be one of them. Back in the early 2000s I built a few computers using amd chips. They ran WAY hotter than comparable intel chips. BUT.....never had an issue etc.

4. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations: