XPS 17 9700

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Nick, Apr 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kenji242

Kenji242 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you,
    No throttling is active except for the 100° limit. But that is also the way it should be.

I use a total of 3 profiles, Performance, Work and Battery.
    EPP 64,128,225. I also use these to control the various energy-saving profiles.

Dell Command Power Manager should therefore be superfluous? Except perhaps for the additional power reduction in battery mode. I hope the update from Throttelstop comes soon so that I have separate TPL settings for each profile.

Today I did some GPU tests with Afterbuner. I noticed that the GTX runs constantly with up to +1800MHz memory without errors. But under full load the GPU clock is reduced to about 1500Mhz instead of 1680MHz. Does anyone know where this comes from? What is better now I have to look through tests first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lg.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SpeedShift via EPP is THE great way to change CPU performance. Outside of SpeedShift EPP, Dell Command | Power Manager accesses some registers you may not be able to access otherwise (fan speed and some "minor" items IMHO).

You can print out the power registry under different power schemes (with and without Power Manager enabled) to see and compare a lot of the changes. The Intel SpeedShift guide is also liked here.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

3. astrohip

astrohip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was perusing the Dell site today, as I get closer to ordering the XPS17, and I noticed they made a change to the Hard Drive options:

Previously, the std was a 1TB SSD, with an option to upgrade to 2TB, with an additional option to add a second (2TB) SSD. Now the 1TB is still std (on the model I'm looking at), and the options are 2TB and 4TB, and no mention of a second SSD.

While 4TB is my sweet spot, I think I would prefer to have it as two discreet physical drives, not one big one (although I have no scientific reason for saying that). Anyone familiar with Dell's changes?

Also, FWIW, the prices have gone up substantially. My desired config went from mid $3K to mid $4K. :eek:

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell is always tweaking configurations based on available supply and pricing. Exact brand and models of ssd & RAM have varied, for example.

XPS pricing is quite volatile. Maybe the back to school rush is price boosting period now, rather than back to school sales. If you are not in a rush, keep your eyes open for better pricing although if you wait long enough a new model will come out, eventually.

Papusan and astrohip like this.
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Or you can look in Dell Outlet, which is most likely a return with a nice discount.

astrohip likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the Canada website we can order 2 4tb drives.