XPS 17 9700

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Nick, Apr 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. W.D. Stevens

W.D. Stevens Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeesh. The Australian prices for this are horrible. The highest spec we get is 10750H + 1650 Ti for $5400 That's something like $1400 more than the US for the same specs and $1000 more than the top spec with 10875H and RTX 2060. That's a ridiculous markup!

2. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the RAM soldered to the motherboard or can it be upgraded?

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can upgrade it although don't expect to have XMP profiles available.

chukwe likes this.
  4. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was all onboard with the XPS 17 being a fantastic options for my friends and family that ask me about recommendations for laptops - until I saw the prices.

I think the GTX1650 model makes a lot of sense at that price - but the 8-Core, RTX2060, 4K option is just way too overpriced compared to better, more reliable options. I love my XPS 15 in so many ways, but it's like that abusive, crazy ex that satisfies you in ways other girls never did, but you have to put up with a lot of BS and eventually it gets old.

Hopefully this is just Dell milking the market for a brand new product in their lineup that they knew would have crazy demand, and next year the prices will be much more reasonable. Oh, and the XPS 15 needs to get that vapor cooling chamber as well!

custom90gt likes this.
  5. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From Apple, Razer, Lenovo’s and Dell, I can honestly say that I don’t think a Dell has any more issues than the others. It has annoying issues in my experience where I’ve otherwise experienced debilitating issues say on my MacBooks.

kojack likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Give it a couple of months and the prices will drop or go on sale.

7. AlphaScorpii

AlphaScorpii Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Friend bought Dell XPS 17 (i7-10875h, RTX2060, 16gb, SSD 1gb) and laptop is very slow. Windows are stuttering, when many apps are opened, everything is very slow. At the moment we think the problem is that laptop power plan is on "balanced" or "dell" all the time. There is no "high performance" possible. We tried clean format/install of windows without dell bloatware and still no high performance plan. Tried adding performance plan with winreg and cmd prompt but nothing.
    What could we do to fix this?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmmmmm, not sure what could be going wrong since I am on the polar opposite of the 17" xps, my inspiron 3000 11 2 in 1 with 4gb of ram and i3 and windows is butter smooth. The balanced "power plan" is just settings for when the screen times out and sleeps, not an actual power profile. It is running full power if it's plugged in!