XPS 16 Getting ATI 4670

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by AEDan1977, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordyboyuk

Gordyboyuk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks for that studioxps16 i dont mind if i have to tweak the settings to perform better as it is only a 16 inch screen anyways so it doesnt need the maximum of everything (although its always nice to have the power!)

plus i would like to hook it upto my 52 inch 1080p samsung tv to maybe play games on the big screen but i will need to play something far less demanding ....

not that i will be playing games much but if i do i want it to be fairly competent

2. Fredrick_NP

Fredrick_NP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have a guess on how much extra this may cost or when it should be available? I was ready to buy the XPS16, but I'm a gamer so now I'm thinking I should wait.

3. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    For all we know it could stay the same price. The 3670 and 4670 dont have much of a price difference i dont think. They might make the 4670 standard

4. Gordyboyuk

Reputations:
    it shouldnt cost much more atall as the card is the only option in the xps so it will be absorbed by the cost of the whole machine

5. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Yeah chances are they might boost the cost of the whole machine and make the upgrade not really an upgrade(as in, it'll just take the spot the current HD3670 has).

The price shouldn't drasticalyl change though. The only other known machine with an HD4670 costs under 800$USD so the GPU isn't that expensive to fit into a machine >.>

6. Gordyboyuk

Reputations:
    gpu costs for the price that dell get them for are negligable at most , i think they might offer both cards untill the stock of 3670 is sold out , or they are going to pitch it as a full upgrade as you say , i think thats the route they will take and charge more

i think those who are putting it of to wait for the new card best not get their hopes up , its always best to think the worst and if u get the good deal then ur laughing !

7. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Well the HD4670 still isn't considered a gaming card, it's the best medium end GPU, but it's still medium class >.> If you wanted the best GPU, the XPS 16 wouldn't be the machine for you lol :p

What's appealing is that the HD4670 gives a bit more boost for the casual gamer who would like the other features of the XPS 16.

But yes, I think if they completely removed the HD3670, soem people might complain if they had to pay a higher base price if they didn't need an HD4670(it does nearly nothing for multimedia capacities really), but we'll see.

8. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    I would not be surprised if Dell makes changes to the rest of the XPS line on June 1st when they release the new Alienware. Just speculation on my part.

9. Staticbursts

Staticbursts Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope that the Studio XPS 16 gets upgraded on June 1 :)

10. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the new XPS 16 was released during the first week of June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.