XPS 15 R2 (L502X) Internal USB how to and proof

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hey all, this is my second L502X mod (first one was the bios mod)

I found that the amount of avalible usb ports at the laptop were not enough for me.

with this mod, you can get two extra ports from mini-pcie slots without sacrifice the slots (well some mini-pcie cards may be usb based, but the cards were ok in my case. ^^ )

also this is nice if you want to make some small device you usually use and make them internal, such as bluetooth, wireless, IR mouse reciver, usb flash storage...

in my case I used a bluetooth adapter. (cause my intel wifilink 1000 BGN minipcie card didnt came with bluetooth)

first, I took appart the whole laptop and got phisical access to the motherboard.

then I got a usb device, and removed the conector

usb devices just use 4 wires.

[​IMG]

here are the images of the procedure.

note: before soldering the wires at the motherboard you will need to rasp the motherboard until you remove the green protection and you will get access to the metallic trace, then you can use flux to make the job easier ^_^

about the gnd point, you can get it near the motherboard screws holes like I did :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested the mod and both wifi and bluetooth cards work perfectly and simultaneusly :)

questions and comments are welcome as allways :)

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very nice, however I do reccomend people use electric tape rather than clear tape, as clear tape is prone to attracting static (something you want to prevent when using static-sensitive electronics).

3. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Excellent work!

Spooky that I was thinking a doing a similar thing, except somehow utilising the PCI slot, which would be a pain though. (Great minds think alike? :D )

How did you find out about the USB connectors on the MB??
    and
    Do you know what type of USB connection it is? (1.0/2.0?)

Will give it a try once I find the right wires/equipment -> could be very useful for wireless mouse. At the moment though, 3 USB ports keeping me happy (barely though! :) )

I would rep you again, but I need to spread some around first :eek:

Congratz :D

EDIT - I sent you a PM

4. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @xxgokouxx

yeah, I knew the electrical tape do a better job, however i didnt had any laying arround, I will replace it as soon as I will get some, thx for the advice :)

@Matix5

thank you :)

mmm, I supose the usb are 2.0, but not sure.

I found the pinouts by watching similar mods on another laptops and checking out this pinout.

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=spc9999&logNo=56671141

I also followed the traces until I found a proper zone to soldering :)

yep, I saw your pm, I will fix it as soon as posible, thank you again mate , and thank you for recomend my bios mod at the other topic ^_^

5. capitankasar

Reputations:
    did someone else tried this mod?

6. toronto

toronto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, I'm not really sure what you did. You added a new connector for WiFi and Bluetooth? Why didn't you just order the combination WiFi/Bluetooth card when you bought the laptop?

I'd love an extra (fourth) USB port, but I'm not sure that's what you did.

7. capitankasar

Reputations:
    I picked an usb device, removed the usb connector, and soldered it directly to the motherboard.

however you can also add a fourth port using this mod. (I'm planning to do that with the another avalible internal port from the other minipcie slot)

all I did is to use one of the internal (not used) usb ports avalible at the minipci-e slots.

most minipci-e cards are not usb based, so you can use the internal usb device of the mod meanwhile you keep using the card.

I just connected internally a usb device to one of the minipcie usb pins, I can keep using the wifi card and the bluetooth device at the same time :)

the posibilities are almost infinite, you can add any usb device inside, as long as the size will be small enough to fit inside.

or you can solder it directly to a usb port, so you can plug external usbs to it.

well, you can also add another external port to the laptop, however the laptop design make difficult to make holes on the side to install another connector.

I'm planning to use the other internal port to add another usb connector to use it externally , so I will have 1 internal usb device, the 3 stock external ports plus 1 aditional external port.

however I need to find first a nice spot for the connector.

8. NeoMesal

Reputations:
    My new soldering iron is arriving next week :) - I am also getting a new mouse (with a proper nano reciever) and will be putting that in.

Is there any tips you can give when soldering? (I will be practising beforehand of course)

Thanks

9. capitankasar

Reputations:

great :)

I was thinking no one will ever try this mod hehe.

well , about soldering tips.

my advice is, get allways the soldering iron clean (it must be allways silver color), I usually use a wet sponge, and clean it meanwhile soldering, I usually clean it after every 30/60 seconds

I know that is a lot, but having the head clean and edged is important to make good quality solderings, its also easier to solder with the head clean and filed.

my advice is also to put soldering tin on both parts (for example a pin and a wire) before join them, it make easier to join them after.

you can also practice your skills on an old or broken motherboard first.

hey,and dont forget to take pics of your mod :D

10. NeoMesal

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice! - I've got some old electrical equipment to work on around the place that I am sure nobody will miss

Yep, I'll take some pics and post here once I get the mod working (hopefully :eek: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.