XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zortwil

Zortwil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It may have also just been a noisy hard drive that I thought was the fan.

For now, I've found a working solution via software.

In case anyone encounters a similar situation, here is what I did:

Install HWiNFO
    Make your way to sensors, then click the fan icon to open up fan control
    You are able to manually control your fan there or create a "Custom Auto" profile.
    Select the sensors and set temperatures for the fan to spin up to a certain RPM

Still messing with values right now, but this seems to be working for me.

Thank you again for your help mgutt!

2. utkarsh86

utkarsh86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question for the experts, the left hand side of my 521 LX heats up, while the right hand side remains cold, also my laptop freezes randomly.. ANy pointers

3. mgutt

mgutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On the left is everything that produces heat (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.) and on the right is only the battery and the optical drive. So its normal that its hotter on the left side.

The freezes could be because of overheating/hardware failure or because of a software problem. Questions:

1.) Open Task Manager -> Performance
    Is your CPU usage higher than 0-2% if you don't move the mouse for 30 seconds? If yes, look in the processes. Is there a process always running?

2.) Does your fan work as you would expect it?
    So if you're playing a movie/game is it running faster or does it not work at all: Hardware failure. Or is it constantly at maximum speed without getting slower: Your thermal paste / cooling unit needs to be changed.

3.) What kind of freeze is it?
    Do you see a blue screen or does the screen turn black or freezes the last seen window/app?

4. utkarsh86

Reputations:
    Hi thanks for the reply,

The processes are fine, step 1 is not a problem, I noticed that it freezes when i have a movie or video playing... The fan runs at full blast occasionally when i have nothing running also.. But i tried lifting it ten times without a movie running and it worked fine, the minute i lifted on the left side with a movie running it froze..

By freeze i mean the screen hangs on the last seen window/app..

5. mgutt

Reputations:
  6. utkarsh86

Reputations:

Attached Files:

7. mgutt

Reputations:
    You said you don't have any processes running, but your load shows 10, 22, 28 and 36%?!

8. utkarsh86

Reputations:

I had put two images i think the first one has gotten deleted, but like i said the temperature was at that, while i was watching a movie which is why the load is high...

The second image is while im watching a video... The first image is of my system in idle mode...

Attached Files:

9. mgutt

Reputations:
    The idle is too high. Compare the load (% value) of the cores. Yours:
    [​IMG]

Mine:
    [​IMG]

This means there are processes running in the background. Of course you see a difference at the core temperatures. Mine is 55 degrees and yours 61. This much more.

Please open the task manager again and in the tab "processes" click on the button "Show processes from all users" in the bottom right corner. Then order by CPU (load). There must be one or more processes running in the background causing a minimum load of 3-14%.

But finally it does not solve your freezing problem because 79 degree (your maximum) is not much at all. I did a test through SilverBench · Online multicore CPU benchmark / stress test and my maximum temperature is 84 degrees without problems:
    [​IMG]

Another idea: Maybe you have problems with the recent windows bug:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465631/microsoft-pulls-august-windows-update-after-crashes.html

Attached Files:

10. utkarsh86

Reputations:
    Dell sent a motherboard to replace, and messed up with the thermal paste, the engineer should come and put more thermal paste next week,

Where can i find the latest version of dell quickset, i cant increase/ decrease brightness using the key....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.