1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mark_pozzi

mark_pozzi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    something weird going on.

Ran vantage first score was low.

Ran a second time and got:
    P8370
    7326 graphics
    14626 CPU

the third time i got the following:
    P8581
    7268 graphics
    18743 CPU

:S:S my fan is definitely running at 100% during these tests. Definitely seems to be something up

Luckily I only use the laptop for work/surfing the web so doesn't bother me but hopefully dell will come out with a fix soon.

2. AngryBambi

AngryBambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Je ne sais pas quel bateau que vous utilisez.:eek: Il est beaucoup plus que deux heures. Peut-être dans un avion.:p

I think I'll stick with my cold weather and working XPS. Though I'm increasingly tempted by the Inspiron 17R SE, it's starting to seem a lot better to me

3. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    most people hear are in cold regions and still have throttling 9issues what bout where i am its either hot sun or rain and its mostly hot here in Caribbean regions so my system might shut down under load :O .... now thought of that :( dell u really need to get this fixed b4 i order

4. Arès1511

Arès1511 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I mean airplane xD my bad

5. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would make a lot of sense, I was having a lot less touble the day before yesterday when it was 24C, yesterday at 30C was terrible.

6. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    right now its 88C lmao and it gets higher lol ........... on a good day we get 60 70. on a good night we get low 30c lol so the dell would fry easy if not in ac but i wont game that much but when i gaming i wanna game for about an hour str8 ... so it needs to hold up

7. LiquidSilver

LiquidSilver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I'm glad to see that your system seems working really well, but it is almost unbelievable that the fan didn't was at maximum spin, even accounting for the ambient temperature difference.

It would be nice if you could monitor & log temperatures and frequenciecs with a program like Hwinfo64, and post the log file. If you do it, start 3dmark before starting the monitor app, so it can see the GPU.

8. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    A couple of updates.
    Throttling-
    We have root caused it and formally identified it as a systemic issue. We are working on a fix which will come by way of a BIOS update. We have a target ETA, but I'll hold off on sharing a date until at least later today when we get a 2nd update from engineering. There will be BIOS updates to address throttling on both the 14 and 15 posted concurrently or close to concurrently. If you followed how we handled customer feedback in the days and weeks right after the XPS 13 launch with regard to issues with the fan and touch pad, you can expect the same kind of responsiveness and urgency from us. Hang in there, folks. Our fix will be implemented- and refined if needed- very quickly.

SSD option in the US-
    This should be live on Dell.com tomorrow or Monday, barring any unforeseen delays.

9. paradoxni

paradoxni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome news!

Now if only the courier was open today so I could go collect my new XPS!

10. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's good to hear that Dell is looking into this. Other than this issue I really like this computer, the build quality and ergonomics are really a cut above any notebook I've ever owned and it's easily in the same class as the MacBook Pro.