1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. nicob

nicob Notebook Consultant

How could I forget about that! Thanks!

2. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

i have a dimension e520 going still so i knw what their support is like i just didn't expect them to fix all these issues so fast :D its exceptional

3. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

@Bill: about new laptops that will be ordered from now on (until a driver fix is released), will they be shipped with the other wifi card or still with the Intel's one? What about non-US countries?

Sent from HTC HD2 with Tapatalk

4. SpecialExport

SpecialExport Notebook Enthusiast

I am in total agreement.

5. jeremfg

jeremfg Notebook Consultant

Does that mean you've isolated the cause for this wifi problem, and it's the Intel's card drivers which is the problem?

Have you tested the second card to be working ok, or you'll wait for our feedback?

Maybe I missunderstood everything, since your post seems to contradict itself when reading between the lines :D .

You start by saying "details for swapping the cards", which suggest you just figured out how to swap card for people who wanted to try it... As you spoke about to try doing that earlier, to isolate the card!

But further down, you speak about waiting for new drivers, which suggest you've found the cause of all problems.

In any case, I'm really hoping to get WiDi, but slow connection speed is an absolute no-go if I wanna be able to stream HD TV wirelessly from my server to my laptop (Mediaportal + ATSC).

Just to make sure I understood correctly, in the "DIY" scenario, we get to keep both cards? We won't have to send the Intel one back? We get a free lifetime spare card in the end, for the unlikely event one of them fails? NICE! :D

6. SpecialExport

SpecialExport Notebook Enthusiast

Now this why i buy from dell, :D :D :D :D

7. supahoops

supahoops Newbie

I tried the new intel drivers and found no improvement in download speeds (10MB/s on wired connection and 3MB/s on wifi) so would be interested in trying an updated one as i would prefer keeping the widi feature.

If theres nothing soon though i will have to try the atheros solution as the hd video seems to struggle on wireless from only 8ft away from the router.

@Bill, will the atheros card be available for UK customers?

Thanks!

8. xuoq

xuoq Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here. Found this thread when I was debating whether to get an XPS 15 or an Inspiron 15R. Decided to go with the XPS because it seemed great. Unfortunately it wasn't until after I ordered the system that I read about the throttling and wifi issues. I got my system yesterday and am very pleased with it, very happy I went with it over the rMBP (I went with the 750GB + BR option). I haven't noticed the throttling yet (no beta BIOS for me, just A04) as I'm still setting the system up for use. The WiFi issue is a huge blow though, one that is necessary for my usage, so I'm hoping a fix comes soon. Glad to see Dell has support personnel interacting with customers here, which further makes me appreciate my purchase. Thankfully I don't have the screen grid issue.

9. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Is swapping out the Intel card a solution or is it still speculative? If the beta-test results are positive, will the two cards become configuration options?

10. cokeboy

cokeboy Notebook Enthusiast

is this wifi issue effecting everyone? im always within 10-12 feet of my router and cant easily test if this is also the case for me? does it only effect a certain type of card or driver?

11. xuoq

xuoq Newbie

The WiFi issue is affecting me. In my living room (5-10 ft unobstructed to the router) it's fine. In my bedroom it drops below 2 Mbps. Tried uninstalling and re-installing driver with the one from the Intel site but no change. I'd be interested in the parts only card swap. Damn 5 post limit to PM (I understand the purpose, just frustrating).

12. Norx

Norx Notebook Enthusiast

Now that's support!

...working my way up to 5 posts so I can PM...:)

13. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

when i get my XPS i dont think WiFi will affect me much home as u tend to stay in my room alot when i got to class year cuz my university's WiFi kinda sucks
    so i can live until i get the fix

14. TheKGB

TheKGB Newbie

I'm in with this system. I took a chance as an early adapter which is unusual for me at this cost. And so far I'm not sorry at all. Dell has been great.

15. oldbar

oldbar Notebook Enthusiast

I can confirm there is no issue with the inspiron 17R S/E as i did my tests with both of them side by side

16. Coryherbert

Coryherbert Newbie

So are the issues that have been popping up affecting ALL of the i7 750GB 32GBmSATA GT640 XPS 15 ($1699 CDN) units that have been shipped?

I guess what I am really asking is whether or not everyone who has received their i7 750 GB 32GBmSATA 640GT unit is having the same problems, i.e. throttling, wi-fi.

Another way to put it is to ask if there is anyone out there that has this particular model that has not had any issues whatsoever?

I really would appreciate some feedback here as I have ordered mine and it shipped out yesterday. Just want to know if *crossing my fingers* will help with the odds of me getting a unit that is free of problems;)

17. Coryherbert

Coryherbert Newbie

Please tell me that all of this info and instructions on how to do this and that is going to be disseminated in a more formal fashion, i.e. an actual letter or email with company letterhead/credentials for anyone who has purchased and received a new XPS 15. One document that will have ALL of the various fixes and how one should go about having them implemented.

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone on here that you are doing a great service for all the new XPS owners here on this site. But what about all the other consumers that have made the same XPS 15 purchase but are not actively utilizing forums such as this one?

Simplification of this whole process of fixing these issues is what I/we are all looking for.

18. TheCanadian

TheCanadian Notebook Enthusiast

@ Dell Bill: Great work & kudos for giving many consumers another great reason to choose Dell. I'm waiting for my L521x and I'm of course anticipating the wifi issue and Intel wi-di is a must have feature on my laptop. Is the new driver available or is it being worked on? If this new driver doesn't work, then what? Also, any word yet on the SSD only option here in Canada as well similar to our neighbors like you in the US? Thx in advance!

19. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Usually I'd recommend doing the warranty transfer and getting NL support to send the card, but this is basically just trying to gauge whether the other card will work better. NL support will be caught off guard. Our engineers are still looking into feedback about the WiFi performance with the Intel card at this point.

Have you tried eliminating plug-ins or anything? I haven't heard about the popping thing before. Is it loud or feint?

It's too early to tell, but I'm pretty certain we'll stick with the Intel card in the long run.

We're just sending out the Dell branded card that was qualified but never sold to see if it works better for customers in the field. There are multiple workstreams looking at the Intel driver and the Dell card. Too early to tell what will happen. I'm just hoping these cards might work better, and you guys can try them out and use them until we figure out the Intel card issue. I'm pretty sure we don't care about getting the cards back, but if you get any nasty gram emails or calls about getting them back, let me know.
    I think so, but Jesse will be able to tell within a day of sending over a request to dispatch one. Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer. We haven't tied together all the details yet. Trying to just get as much information into engineering and out to customers as quickly as we can.
    I seriously doubt there will be a new card option. This might be one of those deals where we will have the Dell branded card as a back up in cases where customers just can't use the Intel card (enterprise customers for one).

This is nothing formal. It is not the official Dell fix. It's an offer to try a different card while we wait for a fix for the Intel card. It's totally optional. We don't have a fix to explain to anyone yet.

20. TomSe

TomSe Notebook Enthusiast

Hi. Could the scrolling issue be related with bad wifi? Are you scrolling while page is still loading? Same happens in internet explorer?

The popping sound, i had it to. Basically it seems to be the sound system being powered off after time of no use and turning on again when you click to navigate. You can turn this power option off through the dell audio application ( eg when plugged in)