XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No but you should accept that if you don't return it, you're probably not getting a fix. Or if you do, it will be a substandard "fix" like the USB adapter.

As for the screen - it's pretty obvious that's not even a flaw as such, it's just a crap screen. There might be a small variance in batches, but there is certainly a large variance in peoples eyes and perception.

The throttling is just due to bad cooling design, and any fixes here will be tinkering around the edges of the throttling algorithm.

Anyone who bought the XPS knowing of these flaws based on the promise of a fix posted on an internet forum is unbelievably naive. Likewise, anyone who doesn't return it when they have the chance will have to live with it.

If you choose to keep it, fine - but don't deny other people a realistic view of the likelihood of these issues being fixed so they can make an informed decision themselves!

2. greenshovel

greenshovel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the technician came out to the house this afternoon and installed the new card, after he left called tech support had some issued downloading the driver. Once the drivers were downloaded the WiFi showed an amazing improvement of “ZERO”!! As expected.

They wanted me to swap the laptop for a new one and I told them no as they would not give me 21 days to return this laptop if it was also inop. I asked for a full refund and after being transferred to two different people and put on hold for 20 minutes I was able to get as full refund. I drove down to the UPS and shipped the laptop back within 30 minutes, bye bye now!!!

I ended up ordering a Sony Vaio S series with all of the same hardware as this DELL; hope I don’t have issues with that! At least they have a 30 day return deal.

Steve

3. maveric101

maveric101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're welcome to post things like that, just do it in another thread.

4. goodwill

goodwill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't know how long it's been or what to say about your mentions of Dell reps making claims they have made. But, it should take about 6-8 weeks from purchase and it should arrive as an email. Hope that helps.

As far as I understand between A04 and A06 you have a choice to either throttle the gpu or the cpu depending on which bios you flash.

I'm confused though, you say you love it and get on wifi most of the time, from what I understand people that have problems with wifi on this laptop are either having no wifi or terrible wifi. So it sounds like you do not have wifi issues that are related to what has become the issue for this laptop. If you do not have terrible or no wifi then I would suggest not messing with it.. because it sounds like it works for you.

5. Elands

Elands Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please explain to me how I'm denying people the reality of this situation? I'm not nor have I denied any sort of "reality". This is an owner's forum, for owner's do not come on here and accuse/attack me and the other owner's.

We are well aware of the problems (you know some of them came to be on the old thread as well as specific threads for specific problems). Why don't you go there and "warn" them if that's what you're doing here.

Those of us (the owner's on this owner's thread) are well well well aware of the problems and are aware that they might not get fixed properly. As consumers that is our choice, I am very happy with the laptops the problems don't bother me as they maybe did to you, that is if you have actually owned the laptop.

Anyway enough ranting sorry me keeping a product I am happy with is such a problem to you please forgive me...

6. gixer2000

gixer2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm also keeping mine! The wifi does bother me but i'm still really happy with it. Also the admins of this forum have asked multiples times for owners only to post in this forum or it would be locked and the user warned/banned. Just saying....

7. miklink

miklink Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Brilliant summary of promises to have an ETA of ETA of ETA...

It took me about 2 weeks of those promises to realize that nothing is coming ... - returned it back mid August.

How so many people get fooled by the promises of even any official info that never realize - come on - Dell have no official statement for 3 months after finding the problem (which is easily discovered and confirmed).

8. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was merely defending an excellent summary of several months of Dell's empty promises. I happen to think it was relevant to all owners, old and new. Neither me or anyone else was "telling us owners whether or not WE should return OUR product or not".

It's for owners or prospective owners. I attacked nobody.

As I said, good for you. I'm glad you are happy. The only thing I took offence to was you attempting to shut down a valid viewpoint on how realistic a fix is. Surely that's the main thing owners would concern themselves with?

Again, you misunderstand me. I have no problem with you keeping your laptop. As someone who read all 272 pages, I'm just frustrated at the circular nature of this thread. The same 3 problems, the same vain attempts to fix them. The same "Dell is working on a solution" posts. Over and over again. I don't see any problem with discussing how realistic a fix is.

I'd still buy the XPS today if they could be fixed, but it doesn't take a crystal ball to know where this is going.

9. Elands

Elands Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And your previous posts show you are a prospective owner? I don't see that. Also if you see the circular nature of this thread are you not adding to it by reiterating them?

The fact that Dell is even participating on these forums is wonderful. If Bill had never been here sharing with us the information he did there wouldn't be such disgust that a fix to some problems aren't here yet. Everyone would simply think "Well now it's like any other laptop with a problem" (most laptop nowadays). Because of the information we were given is the reason why there was such disappointment with the problems not the fact that they have always been there. The viewpoints on this forum would be completely different if Bill and Dell never participated and you know that's the case.

Now I'm done this all feels so childish.

10. xnap30

xnap30 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Contact dell social media on facebook or twitter. Also the rep told me the gift card comes in an email in 2-3 weeks. You should definitely make a big fuss about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.