XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross in Toronto

Ross in Toronto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are most people who are reporting extremely poor wifi performance using a 2.4 Ghz band? Anyone getting extremely poor results on 5 Ghz? I ask because I'm using the 5 Ghz band, and both the AP side and L521X Task Manger side are reporting 150 to 250 Mbps (it fluctuates) connection with an 84% signal strength from 10 feet with a door in the way.

In terms of a practical test, Speedtest is reporting 20 to 30 Mbps down, which is close to the 30 Mbps maximum my connection supposedly allows (although I did get one result of 50 Mbps earlier which I'm still scratching my head over.) I'm using the Intel 15.2 drivers, but I obtained similar results with the out-of-the-box 15.1 drivers. Later I'm going to set up a file transfer test with the L521X on wifi and a NAS hooked directly into the AP (currently the NAS is sitting on the other end of a wireless bridge elsewhere in the house so I need to physically move it to connect it in to the AP.)

2. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i had the same dilemma as you....i recommend upgrading to the 2300 model, it's like paying 300 for a 512GB, it comes with the Samsung 830 that retails for 679 or so so it is a steal..

not to mention that SSDs are volatile and this way DELL has you covered if it fails..

3. gfgrimm

gfgrimm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tried what you suggested as well as other partition manipulation methods (Windows Install disc, Paragon Partition Editor, etc.),...but I needed to get rid of the MBR and essentially "uninitialize" the disk as rush advises below.

I suspected that IRST had left some residual bits on the drive. I looked up diskpart and used "clean all" just for good measure. You were correct. I needed to zero over the MBR of the drive. So my suspicions were correct the whole time--because I did not "gracefully" disabled and disassociate the mSATA cache using iRST GUI on the pre-installed setup, every time I installed RST on my new setup, RST was detecting some bits on the MBR that told it that the mSATA drive should be acting as a cache via SRT. All I had previously done was delete all of the previous cache partitions and just created a new primary active NTFS partition. That wasn't enough!

I feel foolish for having not tried diskpart sooner! THANK YOU, SIR!

What BIOS SATA MODE are you using? Have you installed any storage controller drivers (Intel RST)? Are you able to see the spinner in the Disk Management snap-in in Windows?

4. gfgrimm

gfgrimm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here are some WiFi performance results that I just got.

Capture.PNG

Please do ask your questions away. It's late, and I need to get to bed, so I don't have time to go through the detailed test environment details, etc., right now.

Just noticed typo in the pic: T420S is 6300, not 6400.

5. dvergson

dvergson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Netgear N600 dual band router - and I get poor performance nomatter what band I'm using for the connection. Sorry to those hoping for an "easy fix".

6. Jako

Jako Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is installed on 128GB mSATA by Dell?
    64GB is for Smart Response and what is on the other half?

7. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They told me the 128GB mSATA SSD is a cache (or, as they put it, "accelerator solution"). But it cannot be fully used as a cache, because Intel Smart Response Technology limits the cache size from 18.6GB min to 64GB max.

So, as you rightfully asked: What is on the other half? A plain storage drive? What for? Why sell a huge 1TB spinner with so big a cache that cannot be fully utilized?

The configuration only makes sense if the 128GB mSATA SSD is a boot/OS/apps drive and the 1TB HDD is a storage drive for user files. (In fact, a 64GB mSATA SSD would be more cost-effective in this case.)

Anyway...

8. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i heard dell uses 32gb for Smart Response and the rest is usable space in the form of a second drive in My Computer

9. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

This is an owner's lounge. What does that mean? Well, quite simply, it's primarily a place for owners of the laptop. Now, that's not meant to exclude non-owners who have questions related to their possible buying decision that only owners can answer.

But what is does mean is that you (non-owner) don't come into this thread to declare that you're NOT going to buy this notebook or whine about your disappointment if you didn't buy it or vent that you were hoping it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

It's REALLY annoying to owners to have to read about your disappointment and lowered expectations. They really don't care to have their conversations interrupted by your unnecessary commentary. Time to move on and research other notebooks. But if you absolutely, positively must vent, send one of the Dell reps a PM. Though I suspect many probably have already.

Owners: thank you for reporting and please continue to report any posts that violate the above. Going forward, those posters will simply receive an infraction and those with rap sheets will simply be banned. I'm letting the one noob whose post was deleted which necessitated this post, go without incident.

10. Elands

Elands Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.