XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Muddy, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldbar

oldbar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just asked bill if the Wifi is a design fault and cannot be fixed and they release one with the problems fixed.
    Are we entitled to have our Laptop replaced with the ones who do have the issue resolved?
    If we are I am happy to wait and see

2. Risco

Risco Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would be of the same thought pattern. I am willing to wait to see if a driver can fix the problem or if hardware what the solution is assuming it would need a tech visit. What would give me more confidence is if I could get a guarantee that if the issue is not resolved inside 30 days that I can apply for full refund on the basis the product is not fit for purpose. Currently I have 7 days, which I think runs out Monday, hence my concern.

The program is called Inssider. You can get it here >> http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

3. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

What if I have a 128GB mSATA AND a 512GB SSD in main bay. Which one should I put the OS on?

4. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you suggesting caching a ssd with a smaller SSD?

Unless your cache ssd was significantly faster than the larger ssd, it would just add latency to your usage and provide no benefits. Think of it this way. SSDs will find your data in under 1 ms. Say you are using two PM830's in your machine. Say it takes .1ms worst case scenario to find your data, it'll check the cache (.1ms), if its not there go to the main SSD, (.1ms there). .2ms. Or just find it on the SSD. .1ms. The cache SSD helps mechanical hdds because the seek time on a mechanical hdd is usually 5-10 ms. So the cache drive only takes .1ms to look for info. Added to 5ms, thats not a lot. Added to another .ms it doubles the searching time.

5. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why should we buy a 1500€ laptop just to carry with it a bunch of stuff to fill its lacks? Should I carry also an external monitor not to see the pixel grid? :confused:
    I think it would be useless, since any msata should be SLIGHTLY slower than a traditional SSD, so you wouldn't have any advantage from it
    SSD should be slightly faster than mSATA, so maybe you want to install OS there. Maybe you could use mSATA for a secondary OS?

Sent from HTC HD2 with Tapatalk

6. fallenfeenux

fallenfeenux Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I really need your help with this one. I installed a fresh copy of windows , installed drivers but when I install rapid storage technology windows won'tboot I tried putting it in AHCI mode and intel rapid response mode but didn't work. The laptop flashes BSOD after "Starting Windows" screen and it restarts. My laptop is the $1699 model.

7. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you change it to AHCI mode before or after windows install? If you change modes from AHCI to RAID or RST after an install, windows doesn't like it and will BSOD.

8. mcsquare

mcsquare Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, first post here. Been lurking for quite a while, until yesterday I came back from a trip and got my hands on the computer.

Very beautifully made, absolutely well done. Well except the WiFi ;) Haven't tested throttling, but since a fix is on the way, I'm not too worried...

Here are some interesting results from speedtest.net (excuse the multiple tests, science has told us more data = better :D)
    Tests are done in a room ~30ft away from the router, no LOS, 2 walls in between
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the upload speed is almost consistently greater than the download... I'm not saying that the upload is great, here's a comparison to my HP 6930p in the same room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaaaand comparison with next to router (XPS)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is indeed strange that the XPS is capable of ~10Mbit upload, but struggle to keep up with the download... It is still sub par regardless, but anyways... Maybe these tests can give some hope to it being a driver issue, since previously the tests have been inconclusive regarding the asymmetric D/U speeds.

About the heavily fluctuating speeds... I blame my router, which had had records of being unstable in my room, thus the multiple tests so you roughly know what it's capable of.

Cheers!

9. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The mSATA port in the L521x supports SATA 3 (6GB/s). I difference between the two with a fast SSD is rarely noticable because it's the difference between really fast and 1.8x really fast. The only time you'd really notice is in file copy operations, at least today. It's always better to be faster of course.

10. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It was a joke, man. I was trying to find a bad-looking USB hub to have a laugh: a "fix" for a "fix."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.