XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow ok so I believe your story proves this is not meant to be a "travel" laptop

2. N123

N123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone installed the fall creators update on this computer? I installed it and everything seems to be functioning properly with one exception: Microsoft Edge has an intermittent lagginess that makes it unusable-- this problem is limited to Microsoft edge as I do not have the problem using other programs including Google Chrome at the same time. Wondering if this is a issue with the XPS 15 in general or if it is unique to my situation/perhaps a corrupted install…

Thanks in advance,
    N123

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do a clean install then as it is fine here and I didn't use the upgrade path as it is inherently buggy. I let it update my games rig, 1st off the internet was broken, then various other bugs and lagginess.

N123 likes this.
  4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's the biggest flaw in the Windows 10 regular update scheme of two major releases per year. Anything major should be done in a clean install - an in-place upgrade will be nearly impossible to make bug-free, especially with the high performance gear that we've got. Back in my desktop days, I used to do a clean install even when swapping my graphics adapter for a better one.

Don't get me wrong - a clean install is great, and gets rid of all the junk that one inevitably accumulates as time goes by, leaving you with a lean, mean fighting machine. I usually do it every six months or so anyway, so Windows 10 works for me. For people that can't spare the time and effort, this is a major pain. They should look at LTSB options.

5. ExParrot

ExParrot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I installed the Fall Creators update on a 9530 and everything is fine. I don't see any lags with Edge (after installing uBlock). Clean installing from scratch should be a last resort: I'd look into other configuration areas (esp video drivers) first.

My Win10 install on the 9530 uses stock Win10 except for the touchpad driver. I avoided any newer nVidia or other drivers other than those from Windows Update and I disable hibernation, Rapid Start, Superfetch, Prefetch, etc. to reduce the chance of issues and resource overhead: so far it seems to be working.

Let us know if you figure out the Edge issue. Good luck!

6. N123

N123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After much research on the matter, I confirmed that this issue is due to a bug with Dragon dictation--this software causes Microsoft Edge to become unusably slow/lagging when launched; this abnormal Microsoft Edge behavior resolves when Dragon dictation is closed. There are other users complaining of this problem--hopefully Nuance/Microsoft fix this issue shortly…

7. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My trackpad has started lifting up (left side).
    From my research it is caused by the battery underneath - swelling and pushing the trackpad assembly up.
    I looked around the Internet for a replacement.
    Dell part number 7d1wj (91Wh) 11.1V 8000 maH.

I would say it is next to impossible to (trust) all the sites that have "compatible" batteries for this laptop.
    Most are coming from China - and a lot of the "different" sites actually look like it is the same exact company - using a few different www addresses and store names !
    When reading reviews from those who bought replacement batteries it is clear that they are SUB-standard - and "fake", where they are either duds, don't have the specified capacities, or do not last long and become early garbage.

That left me with no option but to call Dell.
    They only have "refurb" batteries available, with a 90 day warranty - at a high price.
    It is costing me 159.99 CAD, plus shipping/tax = 197.74 for a refurbished battery.

I've had a lot of trouble with this 9530, and had many replacements for a myriad of issues.
    I know that batteries wear out, but I expected better quality from Dell.

Are there (any) reputable, high-quality batteries out there (other than going to Dell like I am doing) ?

UPDATE:
    I receive my replacement battery from Dell today - [19dec2017] - 5 days after my order.
    When I opened up my laptop to remove the old battery it was pretty clear that the old battery was bad.
    It was swollen up in many different places - almost like a bunch of compartmentalized balloons had been filled up.
    In any event, the replacement battery is now installed - and working.
    Better yet, the trackpad has returned to its former position - being flush with the surface of the laptop again.
    The trackpad buttons still work, too.
    I sure hope this replacement battery gives me better service than the one that came with it !!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  8. MafiaMan

MafiaMan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just recently order mine from link bellow so i can make a few pictures of it when i arrives and see if its fake.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401000622897

Tryed undervolting and it really does wonders together with applying new TP . It reaches 80c, but keep in mind Fan is "barely" spinning@3000rpm

Attached Files:

9. MafiaMan

MafiaMan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One question for those who followed 9530 threads over time.

Did any of you had issue like this from attached photo ? Two years ago i got a new screen on warrany cause of this issue, and a new motherboard cause of the power ON issues.

It happens if a notebook is power off for a day or two.

So even with all new components ,here i am two years later with the same issue but out of warrany.
    I does go away with time. Lets say, after a day of notebook running it becomes almost unvisible.

Have you guys had any luck with the new screens ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. MafiaMan

MafiaMan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Received it the other day. Runs fine for now .
    It takes quite some time to charge up, but since my old one came to ~40wh it's a pretty significant size difference.
    What are the charge times for you guys with original 91wh batteries?

Attached Files: