XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Tranexe

Tranexe Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got to agree with what GoNz0 said, don't let Dell drag this out. They took 2 months to get me a replacement wifi card for my old Inspiron 7000 (7537) and eventually they sent out a replacement laptop (because clearly that's easier than sending a single card!) which had a human hair stuck under the screen.

Just phone and complain, complain and complain. Every time they say they'll send someone out to replace the motherboard, but cancel on you at last minute, you can charge them for the time you took off work waiting for them (under UK law here anyway). It got me a free upgrade from that to my shiny new XPS 15 :)

adlerhn likes this.
  2. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm gonna keep this super short and simple as possible.

Was sent NEW replacement laptop in March. Broken out of box. ---> went out of country till August----> Came back and disputed that----> Sent refurbished system replacement which also was not the same system as mine (QHD VS my 4k)----> Broken out of box----> just talked to resolution agent who was just basically told me to go **** myself and had one option. Send in the old system as a return then when they get that system they will send a box for the new broken system to send to a depot to CONFIRM that it is broken (which is another way of them accusing my of lying despite having full proof of problems) and then try and fix it. That's it. I am now out of warranty except through Costco who still covers it through August 2016 thank god.

4 broken system and Dell has left me out in the cold.

Anyone who is reading this, please do not buy this laptop and support this company. Horrible service, horrible products.

Now that I am suck with a broken product,
    anyone know the system of screen flickering? It's around 4 small strips from left to right that pretty much constantly flicker. Had battery and screen replaced and idk what else could cause it. System was factory reset too so not software.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, anyone here running 2 HDDs inside your XPS 15? I am used to SSD + mechanical HDD setup (have this installed in my XPS 15z) and thinking about upgrading to 2015 XPS 15 if there is this possibility to accomodate 2 drives.

4. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is no space for 2 HDDs inside the XPS 15.

5. jimbo_wa

jimbo_wa Newbie

Reputations:
    But you can run a m-SATA SSD and a 2.5" HDD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What mSATA upgrade has everyone gone with? Looking at the Samsung 850 Evo 250 for 75quid

7. Tranexe

Tranexe Newbie

Reputations:
    You can, but remember by putting in a 2nd drive, you sacrifice the 50% larger battery. Even with my larger battery, it doesn't get more than 5 hours of internet, so I'd be hesitant about giving up the battery space.

8. Mankix

Mankix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Assuming you got one with a larger battery. Still can't find a new 91Wh battery that I can replace the smaller one with (If you know where, let me know).

adlerhn likes this.
  9. jimbo_wa

jimbo_wa Newbie

Reputations:
    GO as large as you can afford - I ended up with a 512GB mSATA SSD (Samsung 840) and the stock 1TB HDD, but now looking to get a SSD in the 2.5" slot too...

10. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So if i want to use the mSATA SSD i have to exchange the battery for the smaller one? Is this possible to do in every XPS 15 2015 model?