XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. veloscaper

veloscaper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone else keep blowing out their right speaker? I blame the max audio3 crap software.

2. paulthuong

paulthuong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi. I just want to put in some thoughts about my 5 day old top-tier refurbished xps 15. everything is working just about perfectly. Screen is super bright and "sharp" (see what I did there?) with minimal light bleeding that I can totally live with. I think 3k for 15in is a good combination as I set to 150% and everything looks really great to me. it is in very good condition as I don't see any scratches or scuffs anywhere. It runs warmer than my inspiron 7537 but that is to be expected since it is a much more powerful laptop. I got some throttling when running Handbrake but not too bad. The processor was at 2.74Ghz while suually it can jumps to 3.3 something. The speaker is good but I am not an expert in audio testing so I have no idea. I never used it on battery so I really can't say the battery life on this thing but it came with 91Wh 6 cell and about 3% wear. I got it for $1200 from a seller on bestbuy site and I am SUPER DUPER UBER happy about purchasing this thing even though it's about 7 months old (mine comes with the i7-4712HQ)

3. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Help, my midtier has suddenly decided not to power on. No response to the power button, unless I hold it down for a few seconds, then it lights up, and nothing happens. Battery has power, as 4 of the 5 lights illuminate when pressing the test button.

Tried calling tech support but they close at 8pm and by the time I got through the options, 8pm had passed.

Anything else to try?

4. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Turns out the motherboard is fried. Dell wanted to charge me because it's out of warranty, I asked if they expect their hardware to only work for 12 months, the guy went away and I'm getting a free repair.

Not sure when though as he said parts arent available at the moment.

5. zzmaster

zzmaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 also reports just over 2.5 hours for me too, whether it be in "Balanced" or "Power Saver" mode. I have the I7 3K 512GB SSD version from an EBAY seller that designated the machine as "like" New and it came in it's original box. Seems New. They sell a lot of refurbished machines too. I wonder if it's a problem with not having the right drivers installed.

UPDATE: Okay, I just got the machine yesterday so still playing/setting it up. I updated all the drivers: Windows, Dell and Nvidia. In the default Graphic adapter settings, I changed from "Auto" to "Integrated", even though I didn't have any apps default to the Nvidia card. This seems to have helped quite a bit. (Don't think changing the default Graphic Adapter resolved the issue, I think it was just up to date drivers.) As just browsing and YouTube, the fan is silent now. It was constantly on before. Downloaded BatteryBar as it gives more details about the battery. My battery wear is 4.3% and right now at Balanced profile with 46Wh left out of 88Wh (~52%) giving me a full Runtime of 6.5 hours. Sorry for the rambling, but I hope this may help others.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  6. L33

L33 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm also having battery issues with my new machine. These XPS 15s are so tempremental - seems its impossible to get one that doesn't have some kind of issue.
    My last one (4712HQ, 16GB, 512SSD, 3k screen) had excellent battery life, 8 hours+ was easy. But the 3k screen is terrible for motion ghosting, so it went back.
    The new one (4712HQ, 16GB, 512SSD, 4k screen) has terrible battery life, 3 hours max.

7. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone else getting super load HDD spinning noise and scratching? Any fixes?

8. paulthuong

paulthuong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ladies and gens, does anyone have the OEM wallpaper package? I tried to find it online but no luck so far. And the one available is only FHD. Thanks

9. Antonyh4

Antonyh4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, have had my xps 15 top tier for little over a year have been really happy with it even though i had to have the original machine replaced.

Just this morning i have noticed that the screen has a vertical line of pixels that are sticking red or green, my laptop is now 1 month out of warranty so any ideas where i can get a replacement screen or resolve the problem? It would be great to know that when you are spending $3500 NZD that you are getting a machine that should last atleast 2 year.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

10. wateroftyne

wateroftyne Newbie

Reputations:
    The left-click on mine occasionally sticks. I'll get it repaired under warranty.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015