XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ever since I got my new system exchange I have noticed that it is not very fast to go to sleep.
    It does not seem very ssd-like even though it has the 512 GB Samsung ssd. Sometimes it sleeps quickly like it should but most of the time it can take around 20 seconds or so. This is without any apps running at all. I am not sure what to make of this but can assure you it is not as fast as my previous units for some odd reason.

2. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks as though Samsung SSDs have some issue that makes the SSD performance to decrease over time. I think this has been solved in the 2.5" versions but not in the mSATA ones.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you are mistaking the Dell ones with retail, the difference is Dell don't give a ****.

adlerhn likes this.
  4. dsigala

dsigala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently restored my 9530 to factory settings from an old back up-- updating windows, etc. right now. Any advice to get this machine running at full performance to your knowledge. I have 4712, 1TB and 32GB msata. I don't think my Intel Rapid Start Technology software is set up correctly though. Here's a screenshot.

Let me know what drivers from Dell should be updated as well. Thank you.
    upload_2015-5-12_14-53-52.png upload_2015-5-12_14-54-18.png upload_2015-5-12_14-54-5.png

5. cmoya

cmoya Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Samsung has a performance restoration utility that should be run whenever you Format your SSD to do a clean install. This is otherwise known as secure erase. I can speak from first-hand experience that it works and does improve performance.

6. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just be careful with that: if there is a problem in the process you may end up with a password-locked SSD.

7. cmoya

cmoya Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Really? Never heard of that. Maybe clear the BIOS HDD password before attempting? The BIOS HDD password is used by the drive to encrypt the EVO factory keys... because, unbeknownst to most people, the drive is always encrypted. The default, factory-generated key just sit in a protected, but otherwise hackable area of the drive. Setting a BIOS HDD password encrypts that key and you're asked to decrypt it at bootup... the master key is then use to decrypt the drive as you use it.

The only issue I ever had with performance restore was correctly creating the USB bootup. That was a year ago. Hopefully, they have streamlined and improved the process. I think the Samsung Magician takes care of that and guides your through the process nowadays (the two times I did it, it was all manual).

8. paulthuong

paulthuong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just dropped by to say that I am the new proud owner of the xps top tier. Bought the refurbished on Best by for $1200. Everything works great on win 8.1. I don't see any dead pixels or light bleed. So far there is no coil whine noise whatsoever. Hope it stays that way for the next 3 years. Cheers every one.

KamaL, adlerhn and alexhawker like this.
  9. WololDude

WololDude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

I assume most of the users posting in this thread has owned a xps 15 (9530) for a while now. Would you recommend buying this laptop?

Whenever I read user reviews about it there is always something wrong with it for some reason and without the dell support you are pretty much screwed.
    Professional reviewers complained about heat issues, bad trackpad, not too sturdy built (because of carbon fiber case) etc as well.

As of now I own an Asus zenbook pro ux501 which has this annoying problem with yellow colors (4k screen) but otherwise works great. It would be nice to find an equivalent laptop without the screen issue but the xps 15 seems to have a list of problems that repeatedly occur.

10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would recommend if you can get a top tier at a good deal. Got mine for usd 1500 but recent posts indicate refurb @1200 no brainer. Also i think 3200x1800 is better than 4k on 15", given scaling probs in certain apps.