XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone had the problem when you open laptop, sometimes you'll get a blank screen (black) as if the screen hasn't been turned on?
    But if you close the laptop and turn it on again, it'll work just fine?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a 9-cell battery for this thing?

2. joker97

joker97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GPU THROTTLING - best BIOS version to install?

Hi I've waited 8 BIOS updates and now that I need my GPU for Adobe creative cloud products, I find that they throttle as soon as I do anything. Other than burning my Dell alive, is there a BIOS that is best for no GPU throttling?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks. NVIDIA and Intel drivers are all up to date. Just not sure which BIOS version to install.

Thanks. Please help me, I'm desperate.

3. ExParrot

ExParrot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you confirmed the GPU throttling with a tool like nVidia Inspector? If so, you may just have a bad thermal connection to the GPU. It happened to one of my 3 XPS 15s and I had Dell repaste it under warranty, after which it was much better. If you are out of warranty you could try repasting it yourself. Hope that helps!

4. jpb2708

jpb2708 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all,

I'm suffering this problem from about 1 month.

When I start using computer (on battery mode), troubles with wake, or many times, find discharged battery. I didn't have this issue by the past.
    In other hand, when session is finished, if I turn on, directly, computer on sleep mode ( button or closing screen), there's no effect on battery charge (or minima).

Is there a relation with last Bios A8 uploaded by this period of starting issue? (not available today on Dell site?)
    Could it be an issue concerning battery?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

XPS 9530 mid tier - i7, Ito HDD, FHD

(my experience with XPS 9530
    - bought in april 14 - no coil whine
    - 1st issue in march 15 - refuse to wake on after sleeping : motherboard is changed! coil whine is now present.
    - 2nd issue with new motherboard : refuse just after replacement to wake up once firstly. A couple of hours later, everything is ok.
    The day after, when I upgrade Bios A7 to A8 (1st version available a few days on Dell site!), A8 refuses to install itself, computer becomes crazy an and doesn't let me switching it off, with shouting fans during one hour and half. No option that to let battery discharging by itself.
    Computer refuses to swith on. Motherboard ( crashed and definitively out of order) is for 2nd time replaced.

5. newoverhere

newoverhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any easy solution to gpu throttling? Like reducing its performance a little bit if that means it never throttles. If yes, they how to do so? Thanks...
    (Not an expert, cannot open up the laptop myself)

6. 2IRS

2IRS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot! It seems like the problem was fixed somehow. I just stumbled across the 7494 version and gave it a try: works pefectly. Still, I can't access the sound enhancements anymore...maybe it just works fine because those are cut off now :D

7. KamaL

KamaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any recommendations guys for a good docking station solution?
    The usb ports are terrible, my Samsung note 4 and usb drives disconnect after about a minute of being plugged in, I read a usb hub is a solution for this, so I'm looking for a good docking station.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Never had a repeat of this issue when I plugged in the cable that came with my S4

9. KamaL

KamaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me the original cable that came with the phone doesn't fix the issue. Besides, all USB drives I have get disconnected a minute after being plugged in.

10. gabula

gabula Newbie

Reputations:
    I have come to realize that when my Xperia Z3 Compact was connected by itself to one of the USB ports on the left or right, it had frequent disconnects. When I have another device connected on the USB port right next to the USB port where it is connected, it never disconnects. I don't know what this really means but just an observation. Maybe when you have two devices connected to two USB ports on the same side, the laptop gives more power to those ports and the cable that came with my Z3C might be too sensitive.

EDIT: forget what I said. Using another much smaller in length cable solved my issue.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015