XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. alexmutti

alexmutti Notebook Guru

Reputations:

It's happens mostly only on AC. If you have a unit that you can hear that flickering in battery that means is freaking bad. If you really want to keep this XPS 15, my to ask motherboard replacement many times as possible and you may find a quiet one.

I'm on the second replacement, I finally get one motherboard silent but the ****ing idiot tech guy damaged my screen and set the wrong service tag on the motherboard and I'll probably need to change it again, I'm almost giving up with this model.

2. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The battery of the screen is bad? My screen is already flawed as it has the smudges I posted earlier so I'm guessing it's the battery?

I would keep doing that but for some reason my XPS does not come with in-house technician service so I have to send it in every single time. Probably cause I bought it from costco

Wow. Let's hope that they do not have to change the motherboard again!

3. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would expect battery wear to be considered expected, and not be part of the warranty (unless we are talking about abnormal wear). Now, if Dell agrees to a battery replacement, great...

4. wateroftyne

wateroftyne Newbie

Reputations:
    An update from me, two weeks in...

No coil whine - battery life is OK... maybe two hours tops.

Apart from that, it's great.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. hisma

hisma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently bought this laptop and im quite happy with it. One issue that has come up for me though is the chassis fan runs at full blast way too often it seems. I was watching a movie last night, and throughout the entire movie the fan was running at 100% speed. I tried to lift the laptop to give it more space to dissipate heat, but it wouldn't slow down. Is this normal? Any tips on how I can control the fan better?

6. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you check if there was any process running in the background? Such as an antivirus, an actual virus, or any other application.
    Or it could also be an issue with the heat dissipation. In that case you may contact Dell for them to re-apply the thermal paste.

7. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine was doing that high fan speed thing before the motherboard decided to die.

8. KamaL

KamaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) I've never heard about this thing. So basically you say to keep the max below 100%... But in general, keeping it plugged it should preserve battery life over time?
    Can anyone else confirm that this is a recommended way to preserve battery life?
    2) Yeah, that's what I've read.. that's very weird from Dell
    3) I don't see any difference when QuickSet is on or off. Should I notice any custom Dell messages or icons while it is running ??

Thanks

9. prplhaz4

prplhaz4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I also got a Dell scammer call. I have no idea how they got my number. Maybe Dell was hacked.