XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a feeling there are going to be quite a few of these showing up in the outlet.

2. jokkee

jokkee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to replace the wifi chip with broadcom BCM4352? been reading some reviews on the new XPS13 with that chip and the wireless performance is alot better.

3. 5280wrx

5280wrx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I got my computer back today and it appears to have very little coil whine. It was silent before but I can certainly live with the little that I have now. I find it interesting that they took all the BIOS updates down to verion AO4 but mine was returned with a new mother board and running version AO7. We'll see what happens! I was running that version fine before. It was updating to AO8 that caused it to die.

4. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you going to update it to a08 now, to see what happens ? Mine is dead and awaiting a new motherboard but It was working on a08 before that. When the tech eventually comes to change my mobo it will be interesting to see what bios version it has and if there is any coil whine because it never had coil whine previously. This laptop has been a nightmare from the start and continues to be a source of constant disappointment. If one actually needed to rely on it to do any work I would be in trouble as this thing is simply not reliable enough to trust with anything important.

5. 5280wrx

Reputations:
    AO8 is no longer available. I don't think I would upgrade it even if it was!

6. veloscaper

veloscaper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I had this same issue. I found latest realtek drivers and I can play the soundcloud song without issue now.

Realtek HD Audio driver v6.0.1.7460 [3/4/2015] available from Microsoft (WHQL for Windows 8.1 only):
    32bit
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._b227afeb793b011705a6c78fd446f47f8b10f774.cab

64bit
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._676f6a4941b0c354700c2595a730cc39db98bb10.cab

download, expand or "unzip" files into a directory, then go to device manager->sound->realtek hd audio->driver->update drivers->browse my computer and select the directory with the files from the .cab file.

2IRS likes this.
  7. veloscaper

veloscaper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have AO8, didn't have issue updating. machine works fine. not sure what the issue is with others.

8. Jim OConnell

Jim OConnell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well my new 15 with 512 SSD arrived yesterday. So far so good. No coil wine. It came with A07 installed and all the drivers appear to be up to date.

I guess I will be afraid to update with new drivers when they appear, nowhere to go but down.

PS. Hope this post doesn't jinx my machine.

9. 5280wrx

Reputations:
    And they just got rid of A04 - down to A03 now. Maybe tomorrow it will be gone as well. Really, really weird!

10. newoverhere

newoverhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But why do you guys even upgrade the bios? Its not like it will improve the performance or add new features or anything. Only thing it can give is the satisfaction of running the latest and the newest.