XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. liamfoneill

liamfoneill Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah yes that solved it! However Win 10 TP is still too buggy for me, problems with the Windows store etc. So I shall be sticking to 8.1 for now. Cheers :)

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New build comes out next week, although I think Microsoft is still focusing on adding features and finalizing the UI rather than squashing bugs, so this particular behavior may not have changed. I'm still running it in a VM because at this point I haven't seen anything sufficiently compelling to make me want to run it on hardware. If I had a Surface Pro 3 or even a convertible laptop, I might consider it to check out this Continuum feature coming in the next build, though.

3. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The problem with the screen not waking up from sleep was mostly fixed by a previous bios update. I only get that very rarely now. Sometimes the wireless adapter gets stuck on wake for me. No need to disable the card. All you need to do is reset the adapter. Very quick and easy way to do this is right-click the network icon in the system tray and select 'troubleshoot problems'. Windows will reset the adapter for you.

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you already running the very latest WiFi driver version from Intel? Someone in the M3800 thread said that cured all of his issues around wireless not working after resuming from sleep.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I've been a lurker on this thread for some time because I've been sorely tempted to procure one of these magnificent machines to make it my daily driver. I honestly don't need its d-gpu or associated capabilities or even necessarily the Quad core cpu, but the cost of acquiring a top spec model if you are willing to scout out a deal on a refurb, open box or lightly used one for as little as $1,200 (again, top config, $2, 300 list version) is quite attainable and it seems foolish to spend close to the same price for a new or open box Ultrabook with dual core U-class cpu, IGP-only 13" product when the extra 1.1 lb is of no consequence to me while the awesome 15.6" nearly 4k IGZO screen is, and there doesn't seem to be any penalty in battery life or in any other performance or convenience factor when compared to 13" Ultrabooks such as the Samsung Ativ Book 9+ I own (see sig) and adore for its superb build quality and extremely smooth operation, but from the vast majority of what I've read - here and elsewhere - has described the 2014 XPS-15 in much the same way.

So what's the question or issue that stands in the way of my pulling the trigger on one of these gems at the price point I refer to that is presently offered by Blinq.com, a very reputable companies closeout etailer with whim Ive done a great deal of business?

Well, it's just this: this thread continues to this day, some 5+ months since market availability, to continue to have "issues," small and not-so small that require hacks, patches and driver changes to get it to operate smoothly, reliably and mostly trouble-free - just what I require for my "daily driver," and would have been extremely likely to have long since RMAd my XPS-15 had I gotten it, not necessarily even used, were I having problems with such basic "features" as wifi, or wake from sleep. Coil whine: still a problem, even after replacing multiple motherboards?!! Then there's the fact that its a Dell consumer offering (you cannot find usef Precisions for such low prices - not even close) and Dell consumer product support continues to occupy the lowest position in surveys and my own interactions with real live Dell people who reinforce my belief that support is not something you can get for love or money from Dell.

I ask of you, then, to advise whether owning this XPS15 requires you to have a great deal of patience and a willingness to do multiple clean installs, etc, or is that truly a set of old, now fully resolved "teething pains" from when the product was new.

So, Buy with confidence and prepare to be blown away or Buy with caution and prepare to spend several hours a week tweaking, hacking and uninstall /reinstall - ing to have a serviceable computer to get my work and fun done every day? Brief answers to these summary questions will be graciously received, as will answers with some detail if you wish.

Many thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just installed it. Seems to work very well. More stable connection? Or just my imagination, I don't know. Anyway, the tip above is still useful for any time you can't connect for any reason. 'Troubleshoot problems' will quickly reset the adapter and fix the problem, most of the time.

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think I have had a single issue since sticking the latest driver on, probably a 1% issue that could have simply been the router.

8. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is it me, or does the new A07 bios merely move the Dell splash screen logo 2 inches higher on the screen? I liked it centered, where it was before!

9. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, I've got an issue with screws falling out of the base of my XPS system. I think the Dell tech that worked on it didn't replace them very snugly. I re-tighened the remaining ones, but they keep falling out, and now I am down to 4 - just the corner ones.

Anyone know what the size of those screws is? I'm in India so my mail order sources are limited. I'm hoping they are a standard size and I can find some replacements in a mobile phone repair shop. I'l love to find some that size with phillips heads. Torx is a pain in the a-- .

10. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I don't regret buying the XPS 15 and swapping it out with my Clevo/Malibal P170HM. I own it for more than a year and only did one fresh install of Windows at the very beginning right when I recieved the laptop. The only "Issue" I have is coil whine but it doesn't really bother me that much.

I read my review today and I still have the same opinion as back then when I wrote the review:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...30-haswell-2014-top-configuration-review.html

It looks good, is lightweight, powerfull, good battery capacity. I use it on the couch (and would never want to use a laptop without touchscreen anymore) and on my home desktop with external screen, DAC, etc etc