XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. woohoo7676

woohoo7676 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is only my personal experience, but I've had pretty good luck with my XPS 15 so far - same 512SSD/QHD+. I bought it when it first came out last November, and it's been chugging along pretty well ever since. I'm also a software dev, so I'm running multiple browsers/VMs/Visual Studio and it's been good. YMMV, but definitely one of the better laptops I've owned. I also got the 3 year warranty though, so maybe all the problems are just waiting for then ;)

2. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded my 32gb mSata to a 250gb Samsung Evo 840 and everything seems to be working really well following a clean install except I can't seem to get my 750M graphics card working. The drivers seem to install but I don't think the card actually works. Every time I open Geforce Experience it asks me to install the same driver over and over again and it doesn't let me optimize games as I have a cross where the required graphics card tab is. Nividia Control Panel doesn't open either.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

3. eldaras

eldaras Newbie

Reputations:
    I think that now I understand why so many people that buy high end laptops (in particular macs) are so inclined to get a 3 year warranty too. I think I might do the same and get a 3 year warranty.
    Thanks a lot woohoo!

4. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've also not had any issues (other than the coil whine). Remember that it's those that have problems that are the ones that are most likely to post. Also, I would imagine you could find similar threads for other manufacturers.

5. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    YES. This computer is absolutely silent (but I've had a bunch of other motherboards that were noisy).

So, if the fix for the Caps Lock light were to be a motherboard replacement, I would refuse. I prefer a silent laptop without Caps Lock indicator.

Maybe is the Caps Lock light what causes the coil whine? ;)

6. rotraspher1986

rotraspher1986 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have the same issue broo....do telll me if u find a fix...my chrome hangs too and crashes and my cpu power increases to 60 percent even idly

7. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update for anyone else who may come in to this problem. I downloaded the oldest drivers available on the dell xps 15 wiki (not from the dell website, as those didn't work either) and it all worked fine.

8. desm0nd

desm0nd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was also thinking it might not be a coil whine issue. It sounds more like the computer is thinking, as if I went to a Facebook page and was scrolling down constantly and it's trying to load new things. It only happens about 50% of the time I am using the laptop.

Where exactly would I check to see if the GPU is in use?

I want to get this fixed if its a problem as my warranty runs out December 9th.

9. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI - after my recent keyboard issue with the Dell XPS 15 9530, which I have still not heard back from them on when the replacement keyboard will be available, I have decided to jump Shop one Final time and go back to Apple, as I do not nor can I be subjected to mail in repairs after the standard warranty expires and then just left in Complete Limbo to Boot.

Once I receive the repaired unit back I will put it up on eBay for $1, 800, which includes the extended repair warranty until 10/2016 and their Ultra Slim USB CD/DVD external drive, which is brand New and never opened.

The Very Best of Good Things & Luck to Everyone,
    SD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    DId you simply remove the 32gb msata drive and replace it with the 250gb Evo with the 1TB HD still installed? I just want to know if you can have the 1TB Hard drive and an another 2.5in internal SSD as I'm considering upgrading too.